Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring Constant

RoyJ wrote:
You neglected to say that the spring is question has an
OD of .094"

And this section of the catalog is for continous length which states:

Springs have open ends and can be cut to the length you need. Great for
manufacturing, utility, and maintenance jobs. To determine the length
(in inches) to which to cut your spring, take the spring constant and
divide it by the number of coils per inch. Then take this value and
divide it by your desired spring rate in lbs./inch.

From what I can tell, this means that the spring constant is NOT the K
value from your textbook but the spring value for ONE turn. DIVIDE by
the number of turns to get the spring constant from the textbook.

Don't complain to me, I just read the fine print!!!

Thanks for that, I am inclined to say that they are using the term
"Spring Constant"
in a not so very scientifically correct manner :-|

The spring is no good for me as it has too many turns per inch.

Cheers

wrote:
Hello,

Cannot understand Carr Mc Master 'spring constants' in their spring
section.

They state 'the spring constant is the number of pounds force required
to compress
the spring one inch'

The spring constants being given seem to be far too large.
A long 36 inch spring being made out of 0.013 inch wire has a spring
constant
of 4.8. ie it takes 4.8 pounds to compress the spring one inch.

Where am I going wrong.

TIA.

Jack