Tim Wescott

Default Spring Name?

So what do you call a spiralled torsion spring like clock mainspring? A
spiralled spring? Is there a more common, clearer name?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Leo Lichtman

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) Is there a more common, clearer name?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've always heard them called "helical springs."

Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:22:24 -0700, the renowned Tim Wescott
wrote:

So what do you call a spiralled torsion spring like clock mainspring? A
spiralled spring? Is there a more common, clearer name?

An old text I have "Mechanical Design of Machines" (Siegel, Maleev,
Hartman) calls them "spiral springs". They are a special case of the
helical spring with the angle of the helix zero.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany