Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly water in underground spring-fed spring box, cistern

We get our water from an underground spring-fed spring box, cistern;
it is about 15 feet deep. The water has lately developed a foul odor.
We have checked the box for foreign objects (eg: decomposing animals)
but nothing can get in because the lid is a 4’x4’x4” reinforced
concrete slab. We don’t drink the water but use it for bathing and
washing. We are in a severe drought here in North Georgia and have
been conserving water, so some neighbors have said it is because we do
not use enough water to refresh it. I am thinking maybe we need to
pump it dry and wash the cistern. Any ideas and/or suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

We get our water from an underground spring-fed spring box, cistern;
it is about 15 feet deep. The water has lately developed a foul odor.
We have checked the box for foreign objects (eg: decomposing animals)
but nothing can get in because the lid is a 4’x4’x4” reinforced
concrete slab. We don’t drink the water but use it for bathing and
washing. We are in a severe drought here in North Georgia and have
been conserving water, so some neighbors have said it is because we do
not use enough water to refresh it. I am thinking maybe we need to
pump it dry and wash the cistern.

1. Shallow wells always confront this problem, because
supplied by either local rainfall or upstream sources the
well users cannot control.
2. For personal health, the user should know the germ
count of the water. (We have a shallow well. Conveniently,
government testing is free (total coliforms and fecal coliforms.)
We add bleach (just a litre, diluted, squirted onto the walls
of the well above water level) whenever the germ count
both seems high and (in 2 consecutive tests) trends up
rather than down.
3. Local drought can spread local pollution underground.
As point sources (e.g. ponds) dry up, polluted underground
sources can spread laterally.

Your main decision may be between:
(a) Cheap remedy, germ testing and bleach. You will
soon find out whether this works, and for how long.
(b) Expensive remedy: trying to map the source of
your water, in case a source of pollution can be
localiised and remedied: no guarantee of success.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

spring water tests jim UK diy 12 April 19th 08 02:15 PM
Acidic spring water - how to increase pH? jim UK diy 2 March 12th 08 06:37 PM
Underground spring in my driveway [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 17th 07 07:08 PM
spring water surfacing in driveway Russ Home Repair 7 November 11th 05 04:35 PM
Septic repair redirects underground spring (I think) northcountry Home Repair 2 April 26th 05 05:18 PM