Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machining videos

http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. Beginner/novice level, but well
done. Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 21, 2:01*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. *Beginner/novice level, but well
done. *Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

Bob

Holy Smokes, Bat Bob! Thank you! I'm hyperventilating from joy! Let
me send you a turkey for Christmas! We just bought some machine shop
equipment and can't even find the on-off switch! We're about to
enroll in some machining courses but these won't start 'til January
2009.

So these videos will really hit the spot! Did I say Thank you!?

Vernon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:01:46 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. Beginner/novice level, but well
done. Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

Bob

I only watched the first one and part of the sixth. Very, very, basic
information and NOT ONE WORD ABOUT SAFETY. (Other than the standard
legal boiler plate.)

These folks appear to have gotten the sum total of their machining
experience out of a text book.

I generally don't bad mouth educational opportunities, but treat these
videos as projects designed for "video sharing." There is currently a
strong movement afoot in higher education towards "Virtual Learning
Environments" with the emphasis on "social constructionist pedagogy."

I fear that what you are watching is more about the medium and
networking with peers than a strong and well considered lesson in safe
machining practices.

The product is priced reasonably, Caveat Emptor still applies......
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1160

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...shop/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. Beginner/novice level, but well
done. Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

Bob

I had a look at the first three. For someone without any formal training
these are very useful. Like anything, they are not the complete answer, more
a part of the mosaic of learning.

The only thing that puzzled me was the way he taught tapping in the 1st
clip - you try doing it that way with a 6-32 in steel and you are digging
out a broken tap. OTOH I made note of at least three things to implement in
the near future in my garage. No doubt there will be more.

I actually liked the three DVDs I rented from Smartflix - however, their
service became a bit of PIA, so no more.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:

... Thank you! ...

You're welcome! I thought they deserved a reference. "Introductory"
for sure & don't cover everything, but worth a view.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gene wrote:
I fear that what you are watching is more about the medium and
networking with peers than a strong and well considered lesson in safe
machining practices.

Are there videos that you would recommend?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I actually liked the three DVDs I rented from Smartflix - ...

My biggest complaint about the SmartFlix DVD's that I rented was the
excessive repetitiveness. E.g., there was a gear-hobbing video that
spent sooo much time showing the cutting of tooth after tooth after
tooth .... I got the feeling that they were dragging it out so the
video wouldn't be too short. Short would have been better than the
tedious repetition.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Bob,

Don't worry any at all bout Gene's comment. Obviously he had a severe case of optirectomosis and a
large dose of sour grapes. Besides he can't read either, having missed the safety applance removal
caveats as stated in the intros. I enjoy the training videos very much and thank you for sending
them our way.

Very best regards,

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great videos so far. Thanks for posting the link.
I watched the first three but for some reason I couldn't get number 4
to run past the opening scene. I am suing Mozilla Firefox. Have any of
you had a similar problem.

TIA
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 12:19*pm, TwoGuns wrote:
Great videos so far. Thanks for posting the link.
*I watched the first three but for some reason I couldn't get number 4
to run past the opening scene. I am suing Mozilla Firefox. Have any of
you had a similar problem.

TIA
Dennis

make that Using Mozilla instead of suing.

I love Mozilla and it is free. I would really have to be a sorry
******* to sue them LOL.

Dennis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Michael Koblic wrote:
I actually liked the three DVDs I rented from Smartflix - ...

My biggest complaint about the SmartFlix DVD's that I rented was the
excessive repetitiveness. E.g., there was a gear-hobbing video that
spent sooo much time showing the cutting of tooth after tooth after
tooth .... I got the feeling that they were dragging it out so the
video wouldn't be too short. Short would have been better than the
tedious repetition.

Bob

Actually, they are great if you suffer from insomnia. But I find that with
any DVD about turning - metal, wood, don't ca Within half-an hour I am
asleep. I have to watch turning videos in stages as I miss a lot :-)

OTOH to be fair the ones I saw covered their subject in great detail and I
learned a lot. But then I knew nothing about their subject to start with...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My Firefox works just fine.

It is likely a bandwidth issue you had or a megabyte limit.

Another thing is that is MIT and in the N.E. USA. A large Gaming
center that runs games and simulations across the net.

I ran 16 large computers to piece-wise a simulation so it would be done
by Monday. It had all weekend and we did periodic checks for crashes.

Sorry to say you don't have a leg to stand on unless you can prove
it was their software and not the internet or your computer or your software.

And what version ? are you running all the correct apps...

Martin

TwoGuns wrote:
Great videos so far. Thanks for posting the link.
I watched the first three but for some reason I couldn't get number 4
to run past the opening scene. I am suing Mozilla Firefox. Have any of
you had a similar problem.

TIA
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. Beginner/novice level, but well
done. Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

I finished the whole series and found it very useful overall. Particularly
some of the work-holding ideas.
Until now I would not have contemplated using a double-sided sticky tape for
machining. Actually I did use it but what I did made the parts hot and the
tape loses grip very quickly then. Also it is a bugger to clean off...Still,
putting it on a giant six-jaw chuck jaw tips, sticking a big plate to it and
spinning it looked rather sporting!

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC