Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gene[_2_] Gene[_2_] is offline

Default Machining videos

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:01:46 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Set of 10 videos, 30-40 minutes each. Beginner/novice level, but well
done. Better than some of the DVD's at SmartFlix & free.

Bob

I only watched the first one and part of the sixth. Very, very, basic
information and NOT ONE WORD ABOUT SAFETY. (Other than the standard
legal boiler plate.)

These folks appear to have gotten the sum total of their machining
experience out of a text book.

I generally don't bad mouth educational opportunities, but treat these
videos as projects designed for "video sharing." There is currently a
strong movement afoot in higher education towards "Virtual Learning
Environments" with the emphasis on "social constructionist pedagogy."

I fear that what you are watching is more about the medium and
networking with peers than a strong and well considered lesson in safe
machining practices.

The product is priced reasonably, Caveat Emptor still applies......
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1160

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...shop/index.htm