Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wire brush in the WRONG hands!

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:15:09 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

Well, the short-term solution comes in two parts:

First, coat the pan with peanut oil, heat until it smokes, allow to
cool, wipe old oil off. (I find peanut oil to be best because it cures
like paint.) Repeat a few times. Blackening sausages in lard also
works.

Yeah, peanut's good, but only if you use the pan often. It'll go
rancid if the pan sits for any length of time.

Not after it has polymerized due to heat and the infinite source of iron
ions.

Second, shellac the nephew.

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out how the pan got out in the
garage/shop in the first place. Sumpin's fishy here.

So's Buerste. But, deep down, he knows....

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

A leading Israeli rabbi has proposed hanging bags of pig fat in buses to
deter Muslim suicide bombers who may want to avoid contact with an
"unclean" animal. The idea was suggested to police by Rabbi Eliezer
Fisher.

Won't work, clerics have ruled that it is acceptable to encounter such
unpleasantries while in performance of jihad. Sort of a towelhead version
of "the ends justify the means."

Metal Content: none, but I have an Altoids box on my desk. I know they
rust, have seen it, which tells me they are steel, but how do they get them
to be (and mostly stay) so damn shiny on the inside?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:30:00 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:15:09 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

Well, the short-term solution comes in two parts:

First, coat the pan with peanut oil, heat until it smokes, allow to
cool, wipe old oil off. (I find peanut oil to be best because it cures
like paint.) Repeat a few times. Blackening sausages in lard also
works.

Yeah, peanut's good, but only if you use the pan often. It'll go
rancid if the pan sits for any length of time.

Not after it has polymerized due to heat and the infinite source of iron
ions.

My experience with it differs from yours. Maybe my ions in LoCal were
different from the norm, but I got the spare pans hotter than hell (I
know how to properly cure a pan) and they still stunk after a month or
two when I opened the cupboard door. I ended up triple boiling them
to get the oils out and then redoing them with canola. shrug

Second, shellac the nephew.

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out how the pan got out in the
garage/shop in the first place. Sumpin's fishy here.

So's Buerste. But, deep down, he knows....

Wifey or nephie? Who goes to their doom?

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Never had the problem. Maybe frequent use is the key. Whatever the oil
one uses, if it doesn't polymerize it will become rancid. It may take
more than one trip through a hot oven to finish the job.

Second, shellac the nephew.

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out how the pan got out in the
garage/shop in the first place. Sumpin's fishy here.

So's Buerste. But, deep down, he knows....

Wifey or nephie? Who goes to their doom?

I'd prefer to not know. Hmm. There is an alternative - chain the
nephew to one of those first industrial revolution machines in the
dantean brush factory.

Joe Gwinnb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:22:23 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Prolly so.

Second, shellac the nephew.

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out how the pan got out in the
garage/shop in the first place. Sumpin's fishy here.

So's Buerste. But, deep down, he knows....

Wifey or nephie? Who goes to their doom?

I'd prefer to not know. Hmm. There is an alternative - chain the
nephew to one of those first industrial revolution machines in the
dantean brush factory.

OSHA'd have a _fit_ over that one.

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:50:32 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:01:22 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
before using peanut oil, check that no one near by, and no one in the
family has a peanut alergy - the vapor from the oil can cause sever
symptoms (like heart arrest) in sensitive folks - even a person with
"mild" peanut alergy would probably be unable to breathe. If you can use
any other oil, you are at a lot less risk - personally, I'd use butter,
lard, or olive oil.

What a great idea for a new terror weapon! A peanut oil vapor bomb!

Yeah, right up there with sheepskin covers for airline seats to
preclude Tangoes from boarding. In a war zone, just vaporize some
lard (rendered pig fat) so that the extemist Muslims would inhale
some. Taking any portion of a pig into your body is against their
religion so it would clear them out in a hurry.

Splendid, splendid. We just single-handedly won the war on terror,
guys!

There was a General Order for our troops to stop dipping their bullets
in bacon grease, over in the Sandbox

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

PING: Tom Gardner - the wire brush guru! Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 4 May 16th 08 12:49 PM
Too Many Clamps, Not Enough Hands DerbyDad03 Woodworking 38 July 19th 07 01:36 AM
Old Man's Hands Tom Watson Woodworking 40 June 24th 07 12:21 AM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 January 4th 04 07:25 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 05:36 AM