Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting 1"-8 thread

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 9:07 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
[...]

Now here is a question: For a job like that could one get away doing say a
9" plate at 300 rpm if the feed was *really* slow? One of the reason I am
going through this rigmarole is to get the speeds down to 40-80 which the
books tell me would be more appropriate.
Michael Koblic,

That depends on the plate and tool bit materials. The speed limit is
where the tool point heats up enough to soften and you probably won't
see it. For example you can soften and dull the teeth of a cheap
hacksaw blade by sawing tool steel too quickly. 700 FPM at the outer
edge should be OK for aluminum but it's -way- too fast for steel, I
run 80 - 100 FPM, and 50 or less for cheap half-fast-steel Enco end
mills and lathe bits.

***That's what I thought...BTW how does carbide behave in this situation? I
bought a boxful of carbide inserts which were a part of a lot of small
metalworking items in an auction as well as some holders to go with them.

Look at the lathe in Fig 92 of Holtzapffel. The drive engages the
outer rim of the faceplate rather than a pulley on the spindle, so one
part does double duty. A plastic kiddy bicycle wheel might work. The
reversed tapered pulleys, which could be wooden, let you change the
speed through a 7:1 range while the lathe is running so you could run
40 RPM at the edge and 280 in the center. The lever that slides the
cone pulley belt, called a Shipper, could be connected to the slide
rest with a cord to make the speed change automatic

***I did and was suitably impressed. In fact a friction drive of some kind
was something I did consider (and have not totally rejected). At this point
I am mind of aiming for a three-story type of arrangement: Two pillow blocks
with a 9" pully in between, belt through a slot down to the middle level
where additional transmission (yet to be determined) will change the speeds
and a belt from there down to the basement with a motor on a hinge plate
driving it all. But I am not married to it.

I am independently pursuing another arrangement partly based on some of the
ideas you have imparted. But all is on hold as I have been playing withe
mill for the last three days. I have also three dials to finish for the
Christmas shopping rush and a router table (I seem to do more woodwork than
metalwork these days and if I am going to be making wooden pulleys ti will
be even more. BTW, how do you attach the wooden pulleys to the shafts? I was
thinking a split collar with a hose clamp...)

The slide rest is fastened to simple non-precise ways and aligned
parallel or perpendicular to the spindle axis with a test bar or by
measuring the cut. You could try an X-Y table or vise.

***I knew I should have bought that sliding cross vise in the auction the
other day...It has been bugging me ever since.

These are some of the ideas I hoped you would get from the book. The
hard part is hiring enough Egyptians to pile up all those stone blocks
for the base. (It's a 25' x 40' lathe by James Nasmyth)

***The book is a gold mine - thanks for recommending it. Just the
work-holding ideas are worth the price.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boy, your newsreader formats your replies funny. It's pretty confusing
as to which part is a quote and which is your reply. Usually the quotes
are marked, e.g., with a "" before each line, and new text not.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Boy, your newsreader formats your replies funny. It's pretty confusing as
to which part is a quote and which is your reply. Usually the quotes are
marked, e.g., with a "" before each line, and new text not.

Some are, some are not. I have not worked out why and when. Cannot say that
I am preoccupied with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

Doesn't everybody already have one?

One?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Stupidity kills. But not nearly often enough.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-15, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Boy, your newsreader formats your replies funny. It's pretty confusing as
to which part is a quote and which is your reply. Usually the quotes are
marked, e.g., with a "" before each line, and new text not.

Some are, some are not. I have not worked out why and when. Cannot say that
I am preoccupied with it.

You should be -- at least enough to get it under control,
because I was considering replying to your last article and found that I
was sufficiently confused as to who wrote what (everything at the same
indicated level of quoting) that I decided not to bother, because I
would have spent a lot of time re-formatting the article to what I
*thought* represented who wrote what. (The names do not matter, but
being able to tell original text vs replies is rather important.)

If you have too many people reacting as I did, you will lose a
lot of information.

At least one thing which I was going to comment on is that yes,
you can use carbide at higher speeds -- but you still need to look up
what workpiece material for what tool material, and then convert the
indicated SFM (Surface Feet per Minute) speed to RPM at the maximum
diameter at which you will be working.

_Machinery's_Handbook_ is one good source of tables of materials
VS speed, and of formulae for calculating the right RPM. (It also has
tons of other things.) You can probably do with any version from 15th
edition on. I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Geez, DoN. I bought my 15th edition when it was new and current. You're
sure making me feel old here!
:-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...

Near as I've been able to determine, OE and MS Mail
both fail to properly format quoted text when the header,
is present; generally google posts.

I will not pretend to understand it totally. A quick look indicates but it
only happens when I respond to one particular person and even then not all
the time. As he is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people here I
am happy to live with it.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 12:06Â*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:13:30
-0800, Michael Koblic, wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
...Usually the quotes are
marked, e.g., with a "" before each line, and new text not.

Some are, some are not. I have not worked out why and when. Cannot say that
I am preoccupied with it.

Â* Near as I've been able to determine, ...
...generally google posts.

--
˜¯˜¯

Sometimes I take hours to compose and edit a posting and then receive
an error message that my session has timed out. I save the text in a
Wordpad file before hitting SEND in case I have to start over and
paste it into the reply. The difficulty could be some combination of
me, this old Win2000 PC, Google Groups and the often deficient
Fairpoint dialup server, which currently can't find Yahoo.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:10:54 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Geez, DoN. I bought my 15th edition when it was new and current. You're
sure making me feel old here!
:-)

It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953
2) it contains some of the older, pre-CNC info
3) it cost only $4.25 + $3.00 s/h

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[!@#$%^&]

It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953
2) it contains some of the older, pre-CNC info
3) it cost only $4.25 + $3.00 s/h

Older editions of Marks Mechanical Engineers Handbook are also
interesting and useful for their coverage of older, lower technology
that's simple enough for us to copy. My 1941 edition has sections on
steam engines, windmills, and the muscular energy of men and animals.

His 1922 book on Airplane Engines has detailed cutaway drawings of the
WW1 aero engines and considerable detail on mathematical analysis of
engine performance, presented in a more understandable way than I've
seen in later texts.

[direct post]
Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953

Gee Larry, did they publish those in 1932?
I'd like to see one if they did. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:40:29 -0700, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953

Gee Larry, did they publish those in 1932?
I'd like to see one if they did. :-)

Hell, I don't even know if they made _paper_ way back then, Gramps.
gd&wvvf Ackshully, you want the 7th or 8th edition, lew. The 9th
was produced in 1937.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinery's_Handbook Since 1914!

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:40:29 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953

Gee Larry, did they publish those in 1932?
I'd like to see one if they did. :-)
...lew...

It looks like they did, if you are really serious about
this. See:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...=1940&yrl=1890

or

http://tinyurl.com/6exocj

This was the oldest one I saw currently available:

===
Machinery's Handbook Fifth Edition

Bookseller: Kelly Pucci (Chicago, IL, U.S.A.)
Price: US$ 55.00
Quantity: 1
Shipping within U.S.A.: US$ 6.50

Book Description: Industrial Press, New York, New York,
1914. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. Gold trimmed
pages, black cover with gold lettering. Fifth edition. 1,400
pages, illustrations including tables. Excellent condition.
===

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 12:06 am, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:13:30
-0800, Michael Koblic, wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
...Usually the quotes are
marked, e.g., with a "" before each line, and new text not.

Some are, some are not. I have not worked out why and when. Cannot say
that
I am preoccupied with it.

Near as I've been able to determine, ...
...generally google posts.

--
??

Sometimes I take hours to compose and edit a posting and then receive
an error message that my session has timed out. I save the text in a
Wordpad file before hitting SEND in case I have to start over and
paste it into the reply. The difficulty could be some combination of
me, this old Win2000 PC, Google Groups and the often deficient
Fairpoint dialup server, which currently can't find Yahoo.

***Like this time :-) ?
I am far more interested in contents than in form. If you can live with it I
can.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Geez, DoN. I bought my 15th edition when it was new and current. You're
sure making me feel old here!
:-)

The last copyright date in my 15th is 1957 -- and I was still in
high school then, and could not afford such a useful book. Also, my
most powerful tool at the time was an old electric drill which tended to
shock me when I used it outdoors unless it was plugged in right. :-)
Luckily, it seldom rained in South Texas where I lived at the time, so
the shocks were mild. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-16, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about the Machinery's Handbook.

I bought a 14th edition for 3 reasons:

1) it was born the same year I was, 1953

Gee Larry, did they publish those in 1932?
I'd like to see one if they did. :-)

The list of copyrights in the 15th edition go back to 1914
(which I presume was the first edition), so I would guess so.

They jump from 1931 to 1934, so I guess that there was not an
edition specific to 1932, but whatever edition was published in 1931
would have been current for your birth year.

And 1941 is listed, so I guess that I could get one for my birth
year -- if I could figure out which edition to look for. :-)

It looks as though there was an edition each year around then,
which would make sense since that was wartime, and there was a lot of
progress made in that field during that period.

There is probably someone here who is collecting all of the
editions, and could answer all of our questions as to which editions we
want.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I am far more interested in contents than in form. ...

Pretty lofty sounding, but really means "I don't care if you have
trouble following my posts as long as you answer my questions."

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I am far more interested in contents than in form. ...

Pretty lofty sounding, but really means "I don't care if you have trouble
following my posts as long as you answer my questions."

Did not have trouble following this one, then?
Seriously, would you have the man buy a new computer, pay for a newsgroup
provider and an ADSL just because it takes a little longer to sort out his
posts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Geez, DoN. I bought my 15th edition when it was new and current. You're
sure making me feel old here!
:-)

The last copyright date in my 15th is 1957

August 19th was my first day on the job. My purchase came slighlty
afterwards, so that makes sense.

-- and I was still in
high school then, and could not afford such a useful book.

Not much money back then, although when you consider wages, it was still
expensive. I recall paying $25 for the book, but I may not remember it
correctly.

I do remember paying $75 for my first Gerstner----still in the box from the
supply house. It's one of the larger boxes that will accommodate 24"
scales, and has the drawer in the center for the book. Even my second
one, which I purchased several years later, cost only $125. Haven't priced
one recently, but the last time I did they were over $600.

Also, my
most powerful tool at the time was an old electric drill which tended to
shock me when I used it outdoors unless it was plugged in right. :-)
Luckily, it seldom rained in South Texas where I lived at the time, so
the shocks were mild. :-)

It was common for workmen to die from that condition. My father was a
carpenter, involved in house building. I recall all too well how none of
his cords were equipped with a ground circuit. Long before the days of
ground fault breakers, and double insulated (plastic) power tools.
You dodged a bullet, DoN.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:54:42 -0800, Michael Koblic wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote ...
On Nov 16, 12:06 am, Steve Ackman ...wrote:
... Michael Koblic, ... wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" ... wrote ...
[...]

You ought to figure out what the problem is with your news
program not quoting correctly and fix it, if possible. But
if you can't get your news program to quote things correctly,
manually add a greater-than or quote marks at the beginning of
each quoted paragraph. The few seconds to do that will be
repaid by not wasting the time of hundreds newsgroup readers.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hell, I don't even know if they made _paper_ way back then, Gramps.

...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:56:37 -0700, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hell, I don't even know if they made _paper_ way back then, Gramps.

They probably hand wrote them on papyrus back then. :-)

Yeah, that's it. Hmm, did they have ink yet? gd&r

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 12:00*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Seriously, would you have the man buy a new computer, pay for a newsgroup
provider and an ADSL just because it takes a little longer to sort out his
posts?

No ADSL, the lines aren't good enough and with FIO$ on the poles
there's no chance of improvement. The only worse lines I've seen were
the ones the DDR gave us into Berlin.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hell, I don't even know if they made _paper_ way back then, Gramps.

They probably hand wrote them on papyrus back then. :-)

Yeah, that's it. Hmm, did they have ink yet? gd&r

They must have since the Egyptans wrote with something
on the order of 4000 yrs ago (maybe more). Of course
I can imagine some things they might have used. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 5:16*pm, Lew Hartswick wrote:
They must have since the Egyptans wrote with something
on the order of 4000 yrs ago (maybe more). ... * * ...lew...

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...tramentum.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-17, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Also, my
most powerful tool at the time was an old electric drill which tended to
shock me when I used it outdoors unless it was plugged in right. :-)
Luckily, it seldom rained in South Texas where I lived at the time, so
the shocks were mild. :-)

It was common for workmen to die from that condition. My father was a
carpenter, involved in house building. I recall all too well how none of
his cords were equipped with a ground circuit.

Nothing was back then -- nor were the outlets provided with a
ground pin. (Actually, some of the house wiring in that house was still
individual wires through porcelain tubes going through the walls. :-)

The drill came from a surplus place (the only way I could afford
my own electric drill at that time), and it was quite old already.

Long before the days of
ground fault breakers, and double insulated (plastic) power tools.
You dodged a bullet, DoN.

Certainly. It helped greatly that the sand was very dry there,
considering that I typically wore no shoes outside -- unless going to
town or school. :-)

IIRC -- I had a choice of a tingle when the drill was off with
one power cord orientation, or one when the drill was on with the other
orientation. And of course, there was no ground lead in the power cord
in those days.

The switch was a slide switch on the top of the D-shaped handle,
not the later trigger switch.

I have no idea who made it. Back then, it was just "my electric
drill". :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:13:30
-0800, Michael Koblic, wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Boy, your newsreader formats your replies funny. It's pretty
confusing as to which part is a quote and which is your reply.
Usually the quotes are marked, e.g., with a "" before each line,
and new text not.

Some are, some are not. I have not worked out why and when. Cannot
say that I am preoccupied with it.

"A major weakness in OE is the way it handles (or mishandles) original
text that is quoted in a reply. The problem is readily apparent in any
newsgroup message which includes several levels of quoting.
OE-QuoteFix is a freeware utility that greatly improves OE's quoting.
Not only does it ensure that your replies will have properly
formatted text, it also allows you to color code each level of
replies in a message. It also corrects the "design decision" that
prevents OE from properly formatting quoted text that was sent as
MIME/Quoted Printable..."

Above text from
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#oequotefix

URL for the (free) softwa

Thanks for the constructive advice. I have downloaded it and will see how it
goes. Having doen a few "sham" replies I found on one occasion that it
scrambled the order of the quotes. Is that usual?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Starting with this post I'll leave the first line intact instead of
deleting everything when I copy and paste my reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 17, 5:16 pm, Lew Hartswick wrote:

They must have since the Egyptans wrote with something
on the order of 4000 yrs ago (maybe more). ... ...lew...

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...tramentum.html

A lot more than I ever wanted to know about ancient inks. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 17, 9:18 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Starting with this post I'll leave the first line intact instead of
deleting everything when I copy and paste my reply.

Three comments:
1) The new software (OE-quote fix) makes this manoeuvre unnecessary from my
point of view (I do not know, however, how many others there are with the
same problem though) - provided I remember to turn it on! It did not come on
with the OE but then I was fiddling with it quite a bit yesterday.

2) The manoeuvre as performed does not cure the problem - bare OE still did
not pick up the quotes correctly (which is how I knew the Quote fix was not
on).

3) If you think people were confused before, wait till you start omitting
quotes :-) I thought at first that the first line was quoting me ("I never
said that, did I?").

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-19, Michael Koblic wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 17, 9:18 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Starting with this post I'll leave the first line intact instead of
deleting everything when I copy and paste my reply.

Three comments:

[ ... two snipped ... ]

3) If you think people were confused before, wait till you start omitting
quotes :-) I thought at first that the first line was quoting me ("I never
said that, did I?").

Actually -- the quoting above is as it should be. Each
attribution line is shown at one level lower than the text to which the
attribution applies -- because the attribution line is generated by the
system quoting the text. So -- since none of *your* text was actually
being quoted there, the attribution line starting with "" (above)
should have been deleted. You would have kept it only if there was text
with "" in front if to (one more than the level of the attribution).
I left it there because we were discussing it. :-)

But what you are producing is now *much* more readable.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564