Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting oil v. thread cutting oil - difference?

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message news:...
The heavy black sulfurized stuff is hightly recommended as a replacement for the oil lard oil used
in the past. I have never found a source for real lard oil so I have no basis for comparison. The
black stuff works pretty well on threading. Don't ask me if I think it is worth the mess.

Bob (don't say Crisco or bacon fat) Swinney
"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
news My "lat" can of cutiing oil wandered off, so I went to the local
Borg to buy some more. All that they had was pints of "dark" thread
cuttiing oil (Oatey 30203), so I bought that.

I'll be using it for cutting or drillling iron/steel.

What's the difference? For Harry homeowner, does it matter?

R,
Tom Q.l

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney wrote:

The heavy black sulfurized stuff is hightly recommended as a replacement for the oil lard oil used
in the past. I have never found a source for real lard oil so I have no basis for comparison. The
black stuff works pretty well on threading. Don't ask me if I think it is worth the mess.

snip

Thanks, Robert. When I was shopping, I vaguely remembered that
sulphur was good, but I didn't know why.

I sometimes have solid lard on hand. Ddo you know how that compares
with lard oil? I do know how to turn solid lard liquid. g

R,
Tom Q.

Cutting oil v. thread cutting oil - difference? Tom Quackenbush[_3_] Metalworking 14 July 10th 08 03:12 AM
Thread Cutting [email protected] Metalworking 17 May 14th 06 06:13 AM
WTD: 1-1/16" x 11-1/2 TPI Thread Cutting Die Ol' Duffer Metalworking 3 September 3rd 05 02:36 AM
Thread Cutting? Grady Metalworking 11 February 28th 05 12:54 AM
Cutting oil? honing oil? whats the difference? Thomas Allemani Metalworking 7 January 7th 05 02:47 AM