Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Cutting 1"-8 thread

On 2008-11-16, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got 15th, 24th and 25th, and they are now up to the
28th edition.

Geez, DoN. I bought my 15th edition when it was new and current. You're
sure making me feel old here!
:-)

The last copyright date in my 15th is 1957

August 19th was my first day on the job. My purchase came slighlty
afterwards, so that makes sense.

-- and I was still in
high school then, and could not afford such a useful book.

Not much money back then, although when you consider wages, it was still
expensive. I recall paying $25 for the book, but I may not remember it
correctly.

I do remember paying $75 for my first Gerstner----still in the box from the
supply house. It's one of the larger boxes that will accommodate 24"
scales, and has the drawer in the center for the book. Even my second
one, which I purchased several years later, cost only $125. Haven't priced
one recently, but the last time I did they were over $600.

Also, my
most powerful tool at the time was an old electric drill which tended to
shock me when I used it outdoors unless it was plugged in right. :-)
Luckily, it seldom rained in South Texas where I lived at the time, so
the shocks were mild. :-)

It was common for workmen to die from that condition. My father was a
carpenter, involved in house building. I recall all too well how none of
his cords were equipped with a ground circuit. Long before the days of
ground fault breakers, and double insulated (plastic) power tools.
You dodged a bullet, DoN.

Harold