Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Enclosure

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/images/v.../enclosure.jpg

Any of you guys use something like this?

What is the benefit or perceived benefit?

I was thinking I might make a vinyl cover for my mill to keep dust and other
shop particle out of the slide surfaces and screws to reduce abrasive wear
and increase the life of my machine. Now I am wondering if an enclosure
might be better. As I type I am thinking also that it might reduce working
noise while running a CNC program. I've got a sewing machine and a welder
on standby. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't used anything like the enclosure pictured. It looks to me like
there's a cutting lube supply tube going to the tool holding device mounted
on the spindle.

That may be a constant flow type of delivery, and considering the high
speeds that should be used for small diameter cutting tools, the cutting
lube could get slung outward for a significant distance.

The cabinet would be practical for mister or cold air applications, too.

So keeping a significant mess inside the cabinet would be the major benefit,
it seems.
So if someone needed to have their mini mill in the kitchen or somewhere
clean, the cabinet would likely keep most of the mess contained.

I don't know how effective the metal cabinet would be at reducing noise,
especially if the machine isn't mechanically isolated from the cabinet
(speaker cone).

I've used heavy duty clear vinyl for lots of covers, and it sews relatively
easily if the correct type of needle is used. I had gotten some cutting
needles from an upholstery shop, that the owner recommended for sewing most
heavy materials with (straps, for example).
I found that the cutting type needles would pass thru the vinyl easily
without the vinyl wanting to cling to and ride up 'n down with the needle.
The heavy clear vinyl I used was 8 and 12 (which I think was .008" and .012"
thick), and it makes great covers for lots of items.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/images/v.../enclosure.jpg

Any of you guys use something like this?

What is the benefit or perceived benefit?

I was thinking I might make a vinyl cover for my mill to keep dust and
other shop particle out of the slide surfaces and screws to reduce
abrasive wear and increase the life of my machine. Now I am wondering if
an enclosure might be better. As I type I am thinking also that it might
reduce working noise while running a CNC program. I've got a sewing
machine and a welder on standby. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/images/v.../enclosure.jpg

Any of you guys use something like this?

What is the benefit or perceived benefit?

I was thinking I might make a vinyl cover for my mill to keep dust and
other shop particle out of the slide surfaces and screws to reduce
abrasive wear and increase the life of my machine. Now I am wondering if
an enclosure might be better. As I type I am thinking also that it might
reduce working noise while running a CNC program. I've got a sewing
machine and a welder on standby. LOL.

Very nice, and certainly cain't hurt.
Allows flood coolant, instead of mist, contains chips, etc.
I don't think it will do much for noise, unless you really make a project
out of it -- and, with coolant, might be very difficult to impact on noise.

How big is your machine?

If as big as a BP, I've seen people build a box on the table itself, to
catch chips, coolant.
--
PV'd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

[...]

I have a mini mill with that is a little bigger than the one in the picture.
I could probably make a box for it with two pieces of sheet easily enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My younger brother has a cnc mill, with an enclosure. It keeps the coolant
spray, flying chips and noise down very well. It also has lights mounted
inside of it. The lights really make it nice to do fine adjustments.

His is made of tin and plexi. All the parts are removable, kind of like a
stake bed truck, for cleaning and super large parts.

bob in phx

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can't say too much about the smaller units shown but the bigger units
sure like the enclosure. Our proto shop has a small Haas vertical mill
with the full enclosure (VF-0) and a Haas Toolroom mill (TM-1) without.
For quick one offs, the open machine is much easier to work with. But as
soon as someone wants to do a 2 hour run hogging out a billet aluminum
gear case, it always goes in the enclosed unit with full flood coolant.

Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/images/v.../enclosure.jpg

Any of you guys use something like this?

What is the benefit or perceived benefit?

I was thinking I might make a vinyl cover for my mill to keep dust and
other shop particle out of the slide surfaces and screws to reduce
abrasive wear and increase the life of my machine. Now I am wondering
if an enclosure might be better. As I type I am thinking also that it
might reduce working noise while running a CNC program. I've got a
sewing machine and a welder on standby. LOL.

Speaker enclosure [email protected] Woodworking 20 December 14th 07 05:24 PM
Shower enclosure JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 12:25 AM
shower enclosure John G UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:23 PM
Enclosure for my Projector [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 15th 05 03:22 PM
Shower enclosure Stinkoman UK diy 1 April 17th 05 04:35 PM