Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaker enclosure

I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message news:cf4ff1bb-fb67-4886-a943-...
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

13669.5 cubic cm/836 cubic inches/.01 cubic meters/.35 cubic feet ... mas or
menos.

Standby: I'm sure someone will just love to prove that wrong (which may be
quite easy to do), and let us both know in no uncertain terms.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok. Here's my answer:

Assuming that you gave the outside dimensions for a fully enclosed six
sided box:

23cm x 23cm x 40cm = 21160 cubic cm (volume of the box including the
sides and ends)

Subtract the volume of the 1.8cm wood:
1.8cm x 23cm x 40cm x 4(sides) = 6624 cubic cm (volume taken up by the
four sides)
1.8cm x 21.2cm x 21.2cm x 2(ends minus the thickness of the sides) =
1617.984 cubic cm (volume taken up by the two ends)

8241.84 cubic cm in wood.

21160 - 8241.84 = (internal volume) 12918.016 cubic cm or 788.31 cubic in

wrote:
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

Are those inside dims?

Do you plan to make the box and then put in a woofer of unknown specs?

The woofer's specs will tell you how big the box needs to be.
You can't work backwards from a box dimension unless you plan to vent
it.
There are all kinds of nomograms around to determine the volume of a
box.
You should be able to find a copy of Martin Colloms's work in your
library.
Anything by Alexis Badmaieff or Don Davis will help you along too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

Are those inside dims?

I _ASSume_, that "a box with the dimensions..." would be outside
measurements, particularly since he specifically gave the thickness (1.8cm)
of the wood.

(interior W)(interior H)(interior D) = interior volume

(23 - 3.6)(40 - 3.6)(23 - 3.6) =
(19.4)(36.4)(19.4) = 13,669.504 cubic centimeters

Any errors from there are conversion error by using something besides "cubic
centimeters" to convert to the next "cubic whatever".

.... it's the way I did it, but what the hell do I know?

OK ... not much, obviously!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

.... oh yeah!

Forgot ... we will now get into how the box is constructed; butt joints,
miter joints, rabbet joints ... all of which could have some effect on the
final answer.

.... maybe.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

Are those inside dims?

I _ASSume_, that "a box with the dimensions..." would be outside
measurements, particularly since he specifically gave the thickness (1.8cm)
of the wood.

(interior W)(interior H)(interior D) = interior volume

(23 - 3.6)(40 - 3.6)(23 - 3.6) =
(19.4)(36.4)(19.4) = 13,669.504 cubic centimeters

Any errors from there are conversion error by using something besides "cubic
centimeters" to convert to the next "cubic whatever".

.... it's the way I did it, but what the hell do I know?

OK ... not much, obviously!

I get the same answer doing it that way. I'm still trying to figure out
why the
difference in my previous post. If I did it right, it should come out
the same.

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,
and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown
Posted to rec.woodworking

DS wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

Spoke too soon... I only subtracted 1.8cm for thickness of the top and
bottom in my first attempt. Should have been 3.6cm for both sides.

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,
and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown
Posted to rec.woodworking

DS wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

You are counting all the edges twice, and the space in the corners three
times.

--
Froz...

Lits Slut#9
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
DS wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

I really shouldn't do math right after hitting the crack pipe and before
coffee...

--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,
and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 1:42 pm, DS wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:
DS wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

I do my best math right after a boilermaker's breakfast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 12:51 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
[...]

Well, ****..isn't that obvious?? A lock-mitre bit of course...but
which brand? Huh? Huh?

I may have jumped the gun a little on the question of inside/outside
dims.
From my perspective only the inside dims matter IOW. how much air is
there in that box?
Then the next question appears. The ratio/shapes of panels as to
reduce standing waves at certain frequencies...but I could be talking
**** here..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:08:06 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

I do my best math right after a boilermaker's breakfast.

On a side note...

Speakers that don't need to be portable are excellent uses for MDF.
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

I do my best math right after a boilermaker's breakfast.

On a side note...

Speakers that don't need to be portable are excellent uses for MDF.

Correction - litter boxes are excellent uses for MDF...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wrong....MDF will fall apart when it gets wet....

Mike Marlow wrote:

Correction - litter boxes are excellent uses for MDF...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mapdude" wrote in message
. ..

Mike Marlow wrote:

Correction - litter boxes are excellent uses for MDF...

Wrong....MDF will fall apart when it gets wet....

Which makes it perfect for a litter box. Sure isn't good for anything else.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
"mapdude" wrote in message
. ..
Mike Marlow wrote:

Correction - litter boxes are excellent uses for MDF...

Wrong....MDF will fall apart when it gets wet....

Which makes it perfect for a litter box. Sure isn't good for anything else.

It's a good stable substrate for veneer - assuming what you're making is
for indoor dry use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

It's a good stable substrate for veneer - assuming what you're making is
for indoor dry use.

As a smooth, high-density material, it's also good for speakers that
don't need to be moved around much. Maybe even under veneer. G

MDF is also fantastic for patterns, jigs, and mock-ups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote

It's a good stable substrate for veneer - assuming what you're making is
for indoor dry use.

Jigs!

There is no better material for those down and dirty, use once or twice,
throw away jigs ... I don't know what I'd do without the stuff as almost
everything I do requires a jig or two at some point.

Damn mdf is getting expensive lately at the BORGS, though.

Paid $9 + with tax yesterday for a 2 x 4 sheet of 1/2" mdf ... used to be
around $6.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/12/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, wrote:
I quite new to wood work measurements and I need figure out to figure
out the cubic capasity of a box with the dimensions - 23cm width, 40cm
height, 23 cm depth with the wood 1.8cm thick. Feet and meters would
be handy. I would be very grateful of any answers.

What kind of joint?

If it's a miter, the inside dimensions would be:

23- (2*1.8)=width
40- (2*1.8)=height
23- (2*1.8)=depth

volume= w*h*d

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 6:53 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote

It's a good stable substrate for veneer - assuming what you're making is
for indoor dry use.

Jigs!

There is no better material for those down and dirty, use once or twice,
throw away jigs ... I don't know what I'd do without the stuff as almost
everything I do requires a jig or two at some point.

Damn mdf is getting expensive lately at the BORGS, though.

Paid $9 + with tax yesterday for a 2 x 4 sheet of 1/2" mdf ... used to be
around $6.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/12/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

$14 for 4'x4' here. $21.00 for a 97x49 from the wholesaler plus
deliveries.
I just got notice of a 20% hike in one of the solid surface
manufactures supply... the China brand.
It comes in via the US.
They blame the dollar (US) and rising transportation costs.
I did see that one coming.....from a mile...through thick fog...at
night...from the other side of a mountain...
The bankers don't give a rat's ass where they make up their losses.

*setting match to soap box*

Cheapie 2.1 Speaker Set with static in left speaker Peale Electronics Repair 8 May 31st 07 09:17 AM
Shower enclosure JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 12:25 AM
shower enclosure John G UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:23 PM
Opening a Minimus-7 speaker enclosure mc Electronics Repair 2 January 4th 06 01:03 PM
Attaching fiberglass to the walls of a speaker enclosure Dan Electronics Repair 6 November 24th 04 05:15 AM