Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
mc

Default Opening a Minimus-7 speaker enclosure

I have a number of Radio Shack Minimus-7 speakers, some of which are
apparently defective. How do I get the enclosures open? Is it even
possible?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
mc

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:04:24 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

I have a number of Radio Shack Minimus-7 speakers, some of which are
apparently defective. How do I get the enclosures open? Is it even
possible?

Everything is accessible from the front, just as it was with the Braun and
a/d/s speakers which "inspired" the Minimus.

Very carefully remove the metal grille using an X-Acto knife or a cutter,
first cutting the glue points between the grille and the cabinet, then
very
gently separate them using the blade as a lever. You can then remove the
drivers - not forgetting to take care of the seal, and you're nearly done.

Many thanks! I'll try this on one of the more badly damaged speakers first.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Arny Krueger

wrote:

I have a number of Radio Shack Minimus-7 speakers, some
of which are apparently defective. How do I get the
enclosures open? Is it even possible?

Everything is accessible from the front, just as it was
with the Braun and a/d/s speakers which "inspired" the
Minimus. Very carefully remove the metal grille using an X-Acto
knife or a cutter, first cutting the glue points between
the grille and the cabinet, then very
gently separate them using the blade as a lever. You can
then remove the drivers - not forgetting to take care of
the seal, and you're nearly done.

Many thanks! I'll try this on one of the more badly
damaged speakers first.

IME it's good advice. Minimus-7s were pretty good speakers for the price 20
years ago, but by modern standards they are fragile and have rather high
distortion, even in the midrange. If I took one apart today, I'd be prone to
do a total replace. Answering the question "with what", could be
interesting.