miamicuse

Default Mounting a bookshelf speaker on the wall

Polk Audo Monitor 30 series weights about 10 pounds each. I got the
Omni-mount
at $30 a piece but after I attached them to the wall and secured the speaker
to it, I don't think it will hold. The mount is plastic with a lot of
connecting pieces held together by allen screws in compression, and a single
screw holds the speaker through the key hole in the rear of the speaker. As
I adjust the speaker the plastic parts yields a little, I think with the
vibration it will not be long before it fails.

I was thinking, there is only one keyhole in the rear of the speaker, so it
was meant to be mounted with a single screw. I can get more sturdy mounts
in the $50 a piece range that looks like a tray but I really want to conceal
the mount as much as possible. Why can't I just get a hanger bolt and
screws one end into the wood stud and the other end with a cut that holds
the speaker and not use any mount?

Any suggestions?

MC

Dave

"miamicuse" wrote in
:

[...]

That's exactly what I do. I use an anchor bolt in sheetrock, then unscrew
the screw enough so the speaker hangs on it. Been that way for 10 years
with no problems.

Dave

Roger Taylor

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

I would forget the Omni-mount. I like your idea, and suspect that a slightly
backed-out sheetrock anchor would be a bit wobbly for 10 lbs..
First, locate the studs and see if their locations are decoratively ok for
the speakers.
Then, take one speaker to the hardware store and find out what head-type
(could be a flathead, panhead, or roundhead) and length of wood screw you
need to reach 1 1/2 inches into the stud, thru the sheetrock, and still
protrude far enuf into the room to fully engage the keyhole on the speaker
back. Then do your pilot hole and set the screw so it protrudes *just* enuf
(it'll take several iterations) to wedge the speaker against the wall, with
almost no play, once the speaker is fully down on the screwhead..

wall Mounting an LCD Bouffont UK diy 16 May 20th 05 09:29 PM
Wall mounting cabinet hardware, question? To cleat or not to? .HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 11 May 15th 05 05:50 PM
Wall mounting a LCD/plasma TV mike UK diy 4 March 18th 05 12:25 PM
How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall) Mannanan MacLir Woodworking 46 November 27th 03 02:21 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM