Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default CNC Enclosure

Can't say too much about the smaller units shown but the bigger units
sure like the enclosure. Our proto shop has a small Haas vertical mill
with the full enclosure (VF-0) and a Haas Toolroom mill (TM-1) without.
For quick one offs, the open machine is much easier to work with. But as
soon as someone wants to do a 2 hour run hogging out a billet aluminum
gear case, it always goes in the enclosed unit with full flood coolant.

Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/images/v.../enclosure.jpg

Any of you guys use something like this?

What is the benefit or perceived benefit?

I was thinking I might make a vinyl cover for my mill to keep dust and
other shop particle out of the slide surfaces and screws to reduce
abrasive wear and increase the life of my machine. Now I am wondering
if an enclosure might be better. As I type I am thinking also that it
might reduce working noise while running a CNC program. I've got a
sewing machine and a welder on standby. LOL.