Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Setting up a Clausing lathe on three 4x4s

I have finally moved things around the garage so that my SO can use
half or it, and I can use another half of it. The Clausing is now set
up in a very convenient (for access) location.

I want to set up and level my lathe now, to try to measure its cutting
accuracy more properly. To that end, it would be a lot easier to set
it and level on three 4x4s under it (two on ends and one in the
middle) and level with wood shims.

Doing so would be very easy and allow its future more with a pallet
jack.

If it would lead to proper leveling and proper measurement, in the
short run, but would go out of level in the "long run", that's OK with
me as for now I just want to assess it better. If the lathe needs
rework, I would disassemble it to take the bed for grinding. If, after
leveling, it produces acceptable to me results, then I can set it on a
concrete floor to run forever.

Anyway, the question is, would setting it and leveling (with shims and
machinist level) be sufficient to get a accurate answer about its wear
and to quantify its ability to make straight cuts.

The lathe in question is Clausing 13x36, with a solid base that runs
full length of the machine.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26857 wrote:
[...]

This has been discussed here before and Goggle
will probably give you more info than you would
ever need.

Lathes are not leveled to be level, they are
leveled to avoid twisting or bowing forces
on the bed. As has been pointed out before,
shipboard lathes are never level and can cut
accurately.

Your 4x4's should work fine. My Taiwanese Jet
1024 is bolted to a beautiful 1" thick Blanchard-
ground slab of steel, which is welded to a beefy
angle and plate frame. The frame is lag bolted
to 4x4 frame sitting on 4 big casters. The lathe
cuts just fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:53:28 -0500, Ignoramus26857
wrote:

SNIP
I want to set up and level my lathe now, to try to measure its cutting
accuracy more properly. To that end, it would be a lot easier to set
it and level on three 4x4s under it (two on ends and one in the
middle) and level with wood shims.

Hey Iggy,

Wood shims?!?!? Why?? And doesn't the lathe have adjustable "feet"
already? Lot better than trying to "shim", but even with shims metal
is easier.

I have two lathes set on 4X4's with a 4 X 4 X 3/8" steel plate under
each of the 6 adjustment bolts, primarily to keep the "feet" from
digging a hole in the wood. Works for me. I did it not so much to
assist leveling, but to raise things to a convenient working height
for me. (Bridgeport is on 6 X 6's) . I did worry that they might
"shake-slide", but not so far. Maybe because even the floor and the
bottom of the wood structures is fairly level too??

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.....I do hope you are going to be as prolific with the lathe as
with the welder!!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For that size machine no problem at all, but use the adjustable feet to
attain the initial level. Once you have twisted the bed straight, the
machine does not have to be level to be accurate.
Steve

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-27, Steve Lusardi wrote:
For that size machine no problem at all, but use the adjustable feet to
attain the initial level. Once you have twisted the bed straight, the
machine does not have to be level to be accurate.

I do not have adjustable feet on this lathe. I guess, a good lathe
project would be to make them.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26857 wrote:

I have finally moved things around the garage so that my SO can use
half or it, and I can use another half of it. The Clausing is now set
up in a very convenient (for access) location.

You are letting your wife put her snowy, wet, dripping, salt encrusted, auto in your shop
to rust your tools?

Tsk, Tsk,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-27, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:53:28 -0500, Ignoramus26857
wrote:

SNIP
I want to set up and level my lathe now, to try to measure its cutting
accuracy more properly. To that end, it would be a lot easier to set
it and level on three 4x4s under it (two on ends and one in the
middle) and level with wood shims.

Hey Iggy,

Wood shims?!?!? Why?? And doesn't the lathe have adjustable "feet"
already? Lot better than trying to "shim", but even with shims metal
is easier.

Well ... I don't know about his Clausing -- it is larger than my
12x24" one -- but mine has the leveling adjustments as hollow bolts
through the legs of the bed casting. Each one has a hex on the top
which can be adjusted, a bottom which contacts the chip tray and the
pedestals below that, and a hole through it through which a bolt passes
to secure the bed, the chip tray and the pedestals together.

The installation instructions say to shim the feet on the floor
for a level chip tray, and then to level the bed to that surface. The
initial leveling is to keep the pedestals and chip tray from being
twisted and to provide a firm surface for the bed leveling feet to work
against.

There are three pairs of floor feet. One pair at the tailstock
end, and a pair at each end of the the headstock pedestal. The shimming
is mostly to keep from having support at the two end foot pairs, and
leave the weight of the lathe trying to push the inner pair of feet to
the ground.

And also, the leveling of the chip tray is important if you are
using coolant -- to keep it from running down to the tailstock end and
pouring through under the tailstock foot into the drawers in that
pedestal, or from running to the headstock end, and pouring down through
that onto the motor and belt pulleys.

There is a drain about halfway between the headstock and
tailstock, and you really want this to be the low point. At the
headstock end (with the large hole to clear the belts) there are lips
turned up in that hole to keep most of the coolant out of the motor. :-)

I have two lathes set on 4X4's with a 4 X 4 X 3/8" steel plate under
each of the 6 adjustment bolts, primarily to keep the "feet" from
digging a hole in the wood. Works for me. I did it not so much to
assist leveling, but to raise things to a convenient working height
for me. (Bridgeport is on 6 X 6's) . I did worry that they might
"shake-slide", but not so far. Maybe because even the floor and the
bottom of the wood structures is fairly level too??

That may be.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Clausing lathe oil Charlie Metalworking 3 December 23rd 05 10:46 PM
$850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe? Steve Smith Metalworking 22 April 21st 05 03:33 PM
Pictures of Clausing 8530 mill and clausing lathe! Gunner Metalworking 0 April 20th 05 10:47 AM
Where to get 4x4s? Pike Woodworking 32 January 6th 05 06:11 PM
Clausing Lathe, but OT JHog Metalworking 3 August 18th 04 01:47 AM