Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Setting up a Clausing lathe on three 4x4s

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:53:28 -0500, Ignoramus26857
wrote:

SNIP
I want to set up and level my lathe now, to try to measure its cutting
accuracy more properly. To that end, it would be a lot easier to set
it and level on three 4x4s under it (two on ends and one in the
middle) and level with wood shims.

Hey Iggy,

Wood shims?!?!? Why?? And doesn't the lathe have adjustable "feet"
already? Lot better than trying to "shim", but even with shims metal
is easier.

I have two lathes set on 4X4's with a 4 X 4 X 3/8" steel plate under
each of the 6 adjustment bolts, primarily to keep the "feet" from
digging a hole in the wood. Works for me. I did it not so much to
assist leveling, but to raise things to a convenient working height
for me. (Bridgeport is on 6 X 6's) . I did worry that they might
"shake-slide", but not so far. Maybe because even the floor and the
bottom of the wood structures is fairly level too??

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.....I do hope you are going to be as prolific with the lathe as
with the welder!!!!!