Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Setting up a Clausing lathe on three 4x4s

Ignoramus26857 wrote:
I have finally moved things around the garage so that my SO can use
half or it, and I can use another half of it. The Clausing is now set
up in a very convenient (for access) location.

I want to set up and level my lathe now, to try to measure its cutting
accuracy more properly. To that end, it would be a lot easier to set
it and level on three 4x4s under it (two on ends and one in the
middle) and level with wood shims.

Doing so would be very easy and allow its future more with a pallet
jack.

If it would lead to proper leveling and proper measurement, in the
short run, but would go out of level in the "long run", that's OK with
me as for now I just want to assess it better. If the lathe needs
rework, I would disassemble it to take the bed for grinding. If, after
leveling, it produces acceptable to me results, then I can set it on a
concrete floor to run forever.

Anyway, the question is, would setting it and leveling (with shims and
machinist level) be sufficient to get a accurate answer about its wear
and to quantify its ability to make straight cuts.

The lathe in question is Clausing 13x36, with a solid base that runs
full length of the machine.

This has been discussed here before and Goggle
will probably give you more info than you would
ever need.

Lathes are not leveled to be level, they are
leveled to avoid twisting or bowing forces
on the bed. As has been pointed out before,
shipboard lathes are never level and can cut
accurately.

Your 4x4's should work fine. My Taiwanese Jet
1024 is bolted to a beautiful 1" thick Blanchard-
ground slab of steel, which is welded to a beefy
angle and plate frame. The frame is lag bolted
to 4x4 frame sitting on 4 big casters. The lathe
cuts just fine.