Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Seeking information about my bench vise.

I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

It has initials on the side but I have no idea what they stand for:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS2.jpg

Here is the other side showing the swivel base:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...rent=Vise3.jpg

If you can give me any information about this, I would really
appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../?action=view¤...

It has initials on the side but I have no idea what they stand for:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../?action=view¤...

Here is the other side showing the swivel base:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../?action=view¤...

If you can give me any information about this, I would really
appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****

Here is a similar vise manufactured by an Indian company:
http://www.orcan.com/
Claims to be headed by a German engineer and that this is a unique
design:
http://www.aboutus.org/Orcan.com
I couldn’t find much else, but it sure looks like you have a nice
vise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

I'l have to go and ask my wife. LOL. I broke one that looked a lot like
that a few years back that was on the workbench she had out in the garage
when we got married. (I'm not kidding.) I think she got it from her dad
who was an engineer for GM Hydramatic. I broke it using a 6 foot cheater
bar to try and press out a U-joint before I got my hydraulic press.
Seriously though I'll ask her if she recognizes it or knows who made it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:55:08 -0700, the infamous "Bob La Londe"
scrawled the following:

wrote in message
I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

(LL, why do you have racing slicks on your Moulton?)

I'l have to go and ask my wife. LOL. I broke one that looked a lot like
that a few years back that was on the workbench she had out in the garage
when we got married. (I'm not kidding.) I think she got it from her dad
who was an engineer for GM Hydramatic. I broke it using a 6 foot cheater
bar to try and press out a U-joint before I got my hydraulic press.

WHAT? Shame on you, Bob. If you can't persuade a u-joint cup into
place easily by hand, it's kinked in the assembly or a needle is in
the way. You won't compress a needle bearing and it will break your
vise.

I used to use the old long-fiber bearing grease on them, to stick the
needles firmly to the cup, then pump the joints full of good moly
grease before installing them on the vehicles.

My $22 Chiwanese vise from HF is still plugging along, 35 years later.
I do use cheaters on occasion, too, but only 2-footers. As Clint
Eastwood said in 'Magnum Force', "A man has to know his limitations."
vbg

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

(LL, why do you have racing slicks on your Moulton?)

I'l have to go and ask my wife. LOL. I broke one that looked a lot like
that a few years back that was on the workbench she had out in the garage
when we got married. (I'm not kidding.) I think she got it from her dad
who was an engineer for GM Hydramatic. I broke it using a 6 foot cheater
bar to try and press out a U-joint before I got my hydraulic press.

WHAT? Shame on you, Bob. If you can't persuade a u-joint cup into
place easily by hand, it's kinked in the assembly or a needle is in
the way. You won't compress a needle bearing and it will break your
vise.

Press out, not press in. And a press fit one. No clips.

I used to use the old long-fiber bearing grease on them, to stick the
needles firmly to the cup, then pump the joints full of good moly
grease before installing them on the vehicles.

I never had any problem pressing them in.

My $22 Chiwanese vise from HF is still plugging along, 35 years later.
I do use cheaters on occasion, too, but only 2-footers. As Clint
Eastwood said in 'Magnum Force', "A man has to know his limitations."
vbg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

It has initials on the side but I have no idea what they stand for:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS2.jpg

Here is the other side showing the swivel base:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...rent=Vise3.jpg

If you can give me any information about this, I would really
appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

It's the same design approach as a Schlegel (made in Germany), although
the Schlegel is designed somewhat heavier and has the name cast in the
right side. (I googled and couldn't find a current Schlegel site,
only Wayback Machine pages for a distributor that no longer has them:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980207001050/http://www.durbal.com/vise3.htm

HTH,
Tove
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...on=view&curren....

[...]

I see you are very observant:-

(LL, why do you have racing slicks on your Moulton?)

They are actually Urethane tires (aka Airfree Tires, solid tires)
which are on 20" (406mm) rims. I ride Airfree Tires most of the time
because I am a 'Car-Free' person and I despise getting flats.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

And his vices. Err, vises.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

seeking information on manufacturer [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 24th 05 04:02 AM
Help me id this bench vise Jim Geib Metalworking 4 July 28th 05 04:47 AM
Bench vise? Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 3 April 13th 04 08:45 AM
Bench vise Rick Samuel Woodworking 10 February 29th 04 03:04 AM