Rick Samuel

Default Bench vise

Hey, been looking at vises, they sure are proud of 'um. I'm kinda new
at wood butchering.....How do the imports of Taiwan & India stack up?
Hartville has one of each. Leaning towards this one. Anyone ever deal
w/ Hartville?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...earch_id=94709
Jon Endres, PE

I bought a white Shop Fox vise, a Record knock-off, from Grizzly. It hasn't
been mounted to a bench yet, but it's solid, has survived a whole year on my
basement floor without rusting, and it has a pop-up dog on the face. Hafta
wait to see how it works when attached to the bench, but I'm confident it's
as good as the expensive ones.

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Hey, been looking at vises, they sure are proud of 'um. I'm kinda new
at wood butchering.....How do the imports of Taiwan & India stack up?
Hartville has one of each. Leaning towards this one. Anyone ever deal
w/ Hartville?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...earch_id=94709

Eric Lund

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Hey, been looking at vises, they sure are proud of 'um. I'm kinda new
at wood butchering.....How do the imports of Taiwan & India stack up?
Hartville has one of each. Leaning towards this one. Anyone ever deal
w/ Hartville?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...earch_id=94709

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

Cheers,
Eric

Henry Bibb

"Eric Lund" wrote in message
om...

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they

come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better.
Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth
to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a trainload
of 'em. http://tinyurl.com/2r9fd

skeezics

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:24:56 GMT, "Henry Bibb"
wrote:

"Eric Lund" wrote in message
. com...

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they

come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better.
Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth
to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a trainload
of 'em. http://tinyurl.com/2r9fd

that same wilton can be had at lowes for 99 dollars.

skeez
Henry Bibb

"skeezics" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:24:56 GMT, "Henry Bibb"
wrote:

"Eric Lund" wrote in message
. com...

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they

come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick

release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better.
Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth
to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a

trainload
of 'em. http://tinyurl.com/2r9fd

that same wilton can be had at lowes for 99 dollars.

skeez

Kewl. I hadn't noticed that..

skeezics

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:42:36 GMT, "Henry Bibb"
wrote:

"skeezics" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:24:56 GMT, "Henry Bibb"
wrote:

"Eric Lund" wrote in message
. com...

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they
come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick

release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better.
Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth
to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a

trainload
of 'em. http://tinyurl.com/2r9fd

that same wilton can be had at lowes for 99 dollars.

skeez

Kewl. I hadn't noticed that..

they do not have em set up on display but most lowes stores have a
couple in boxes under the display of the other vises. the threaded
rods on these vises are inside steel channel so they get very little
dust on the mechanism. skeez
Phisherman

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:32:10 -0600, Rick Samuel
wrote:

Hey, been looking at vises, they sure are proud of 'um. I'm kinda new
at wood butchering.....How do the imports of Taiwan & India stack up?
Hartville has one of each. Leaning towards this one. Anyone ever deal
w/ Hartville?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...earch_id=94709

Stay clear of the China castings. The Taiwan and India ones are
questionable. I have a Record bench vise and very pleased (they are
cast in England). Record makes several vise sizes. USA-made and
Germany-made vises are usually quite good.
KYHighlander

I have that Wilton, but don't have it on a bench yet. May put it on a
downdraft sanding table I plan to build.

--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Henry Bibb" wrote in message
link.net...

"Eric Lund" wrote in message
om...

I played with one of these at our local Woodcraft. I don't think they

come
in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the
smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick

release.
Much easier to use than my Record 53.

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better.
Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth
to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a trainload
of 'em. http://tinyurl.com/2r9fd

Silvan

Phisherman wrote:

Stay clear of the China castings. The Taiwan and India ones are
questionable. I have a Record bench vise and very pleased (they are
cast in England). Record makes several vise sizes. USA-made and
Germany-made vises are usually quite good.

Another good source is eBay. I have an old (circa 1920s by best
guesstimate) Morgan vise that I happened upon for free. It's built like a
Mack truck. I see them on eBay from time to time, and would not hesitate
to pick one up if I needed another vise. This is one solid hunk of iron.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/