Guy LaRochelle

Default Bench vise?

I noticed that some front vises have the rear jaw flush with the workbench
edge and others have the rear jaw extruded from the edge. I purchased a Lee
Valley front vise and they explain 3 ways to mount them. How important do
you guys think it is to have the rear jaw flush with the edge of the table?
Regards. -Guy

Mike in Mystic

Hi Guy,

I think it is quite important. By doing this or having the rear jaw
embedded in the bench and using the front apron as the rear jaw surface
(essentially equivalent to having the rear jaw mortised even with the apron,
just different installation method), you are able to have long boards
clamped into the front vise and use board jacks and hold downs at the far
end for full support along the length. If the rear jaw sits proud of the
apron, you can still use board jacks, but you clamping the board becomes
more difficult.

Mike
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
I noticed that some front vises have the rear jaw flush with the workbench
edge and others have the rear jaw extruded from the edge. I purchased a

Lee
Valley front vise and they explain 3 ways to mount them. How important do
you guys think it is to have the rear jaw flush with the edge of the

table?
Regards. -Guy

Phisherman

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:51:25 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"
wrote:

I noticed that some front vises have the rear jaw flush with the workbench
edge and others have the rear jaw extruded from the edge. I purchased a Lee
Valley front vise and they explain 3 ways to mount them. How important do
you guys think it is to have the rear jaw flush with the edge of the table?
Regards. -Guy

This is a tough one. My back vise jaw is 3/4" back from the edge.
There have been times this helps, other times not. I recall that it
took a lot longer to mount the vise than expected. See
The Workbench Book by Landis for good advice.
Frank Shute

wrote:

I noticed that some front vises have the rear jaw flush with the workbench
edge and others have the rear jaw extruded from the edge. I purchased a Lee
Valley front vise and they explain 3 ways to mount them. How important do
you guys think it is to have the rear jaw flush with the edge of the table?
Regards. -Guy

This is a tough one. My back vise jaw is 3/4" back from the edge.
There have been times this helps, other times not. I recall that it
took a lot longer to mount the vise than expected. See
The Workbench Book by Landis for good advice.

I've got mine mounted like yours. The advantage of it, to my mind, is
that you can place a piece in the jaws without getting your fingers
jammed between the piece and the bench. ie. You can hold your piece
with one hand from the top and screw up the vise, with a flush mounted
vise you have to hold the piece from the front....if that makes any
sense.

I'd mount it in a similar fashion if I had to do it again as I don't
find it a problem mounting long boards for jointing with the help of
some clamps.

There was an article in FWW about mounting Record-type vises recently.
Wish I'd read it before I mounted mine

Very happy with my 10" Record though. Half a mind to use one as a tail
vise.

--
Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/