Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Seeking information about my bench vise.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:55:08 -0700, the infamous "Bob La Londe"
scrawled the following:

wrote in message
I have a bench vise that I really like and am hoping to be able to
find another one of the same type:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ent=ViseS1.jpg

(LL, why do you have racing slicks on your Moulton?)

I'l have to go and ask my wife. LOL. I broke one that looked a lot like
that a few years back that was on the workbench she had out in the garage
when we got married. (I'm not kidding.) I think she got it from her dad
who was an engineer for GM Hydramatic. I broke it using a 6 foot cheater
bar to try and press out a U-joint before I got my hydraulic press.

WHAT? Shame on you, Bob. If you can't persuade a u-joint cup into
place easily by hand, it's kinked in the assembly or a needle is in
the way. You won't compress a needle bearing and it will break your
vise.

I used to use the old long-fiber bearing grease on them, to stick the
needles firmly to the cup, then pump the joints full of good moly
grease before installing them on the vehicles.

My $22 Chiwanese vise from HF is still plugging along, 35 years later.
I do use cheaters on occasion, too, but only 2-footers. As Clint
Eastwood said in 'Magnum Force', "A man has to know his limitations."
vbg

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong