Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Price of copper and aluminum

Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

Wonder how long before we'll see it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

Wonder how long before we'll see it.

If you have to sell your mtual fund shares to buy aluminum, you would
not be able to buy more than before...

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

What is the current price for copper? I found a 335ft roll of 7 strand awg 6 bare while
cleaning the garage that my brother the electrican can use. He offered me 1.5x scrap. I
think I bought it years ago for an antenna ground plane I never dug my yard up to install.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

What is the current price for copper? I found a 335ft roll of 7 strand awg 6 bare while
cleaning the garage that my brother the electrican can use. He offered me 1.5x scrap. I
think I bought it years ago for an antenna ground plane I never dug my yard up to install.

Don't know. Spot is $2.52/lb Scrap seems to
be what the market will bear in your neighborhood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 7, 5:49*pm, Wes wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

What is the current price for copper? *I found a 335ft roll of 7 strand awg 6 bare while
cleaning the garage that my brother the electrican can use. *He offered me 1.5x scrap. *I
think I bought it years ago for an antenna ground plane I never dug my yard up to install.

Wes

You could probably sell it to him of what half of new whosale would
be, and it would be better for you than scrap price, and he's still
getting a bargain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Spot market for copper is down 37% from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down
29%.

Wonder how long before we'll see it.

I got suckered into doing a job for the church/school some of my kids
are going to.
They are converting the sanctuary into a gym during the school week, so
they need to protect the 5 stained glass windows. I bought the local
non-ferrous dealer out of 1 x 1 7/8 x 1/8" wall rectangular tubing.
(That is 1" x 1.875" exterior dimension, if the fractions are
confusing.) Anyway, the stuff was $2 a foot! I was rather surprised, I
quoted it online a while ago and it was something more like $6 a foot
plus shipping. I don't know the exact weight, but it is something
around .75 Lbs/foot, so
that's about $2.67 a pound.

We will make frames by welding the aluminum into a square frame, and
mount two to each window frame with hinges. Then, they will get some
sound insulating board attached to them, to both stop balls and people
during the week, and act as sound absorbers during the services.

I finally get to do a serious aluminum project on my TIG welder, so
we'll see how good I am.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For scrap prices, check here;

http://scrapmetalpricesandauctions.c...p-metal-prices

Click on the appropriate tabs and locate the current prices

Around here (big city, lots of competition) I expect to get about 75%-80% of
the LTL price for clean, well sorted scrap in small quantity (20lb, 100lb)

I expect a higher rate than that (based on spot price) for precious metals

I clean out the shop every now and then, but don't sell scrap on a regular
basis.

Paul K. Dickman

Jim Stewart wrote:
Wes wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

Spot market for copper is down 37%
from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down 29%.

What is the current price for copper? I found a 335ft roll of 7 strand
awg 6 bare while
cleaning the garage that my brother the electrican can use. He offered
me 1.5x scrap. I
think I bought it years ago for an antenna ground plane I never dug my
yard up to install.

Don't know. Spot is $2.52/lb Scrap seems to
be what the market will bear in your neighborhood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of
metals?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/al...istorical.html

etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:08:37 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of
metals?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/al...istorical.html

etc.

I bought 170lbs of 10ga THHN today

$670 including tax

**** me running

I thought copper was going down?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:34:57 -0700, the infamous Gunner
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of
metals?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/al...istorical.html

etc.

I bought 170lbs of 10ga THHN today

$670 including tax

**** me running

I thought copper was going down?

I sure hope your bids include flexible supplies costs, X + mat'ls.

Drywall screws a couple months ago were $2.19/lb., deck screws $15.99
for 5#. Yesterday, drywall screws were $3.99/lb,, deck screws $8.09 a
pound. We need to buy large butt plugs so it won't hurt as much the
next time we buy something, huh?

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Do you have any reccomendations for a source for spot prices of
metals?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/al...istorical.html

etc.

I bought 170lbs of 10ga THHN today

$670 including tax

**** me running

I thought copper was going down?

They need the extra money to buy the replacement
inventory at a lower cost. Wait a minute.... (:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner writes:

I thought copper was going down?

The big post-bubble deflation has begun. So big even the Fed can't inflate
our way out of it. They've fired all their big guns now, and the market
collapse continues. They laughed when oil was $140 and I said it would
soon be back to $70.