Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Price of copper and aluminum

Jim Stewart wrote:
Spot market for copper is down 37% from 60 days ago. Aluminum is down
29%.

Wonder how long before we'll see it.

I got suckered into doing a job for the church/school some of my kids
are going to.
They are converting the sanctuary into a gym during the school week, so
they need to protect the 5 stained glass windows. I bought the local
non-ferrous dealer out of 1 x 1 7/8 x 1/8" wall rectangular tubing.
(That is 1" x 1.875" exterior dimension, if the fractions are
confusing.) Anyway, the stuff was $2 a foot! I was rather surprised, I
quoted it online a while ago and it was something more like $6 a foot
plus shipping. I don't know the exact weight, but it is something
around .75 Lbs/foot, so
that's about $2.67 a pound.

We will make frames by welding the aluminum into a square frame, and
mount two to each window frame with hinges. Then, they will get some
sound insulating board attached to them, to both stop balls and people
during the week, and act as sound absorbers during the services.

I finally get to do a serious aluminum project on my TIG welder, so
we'll see how good I am.

Jon