Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 20 gauge steel = ?? gauge Al

This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...oll_WT_Import_

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:59:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...oll_WT_Import_

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

One rule of thumb is a 3-gage difference between steel and ally.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 30, 2:42*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:59:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...12_Shear_Press...

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

One rule of thumb is a 3-gage difference between steel and ally. *

The 30" Central Machinery 3-in-1 I have will shear 1/16" 6061 but not
easily, and I sometimes have to readjust the blade gap after cutting
it. It is much happier with 0.050" 5052, which also bends better
without cracking.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This machine:
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...12_Shear_Press...
is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.
It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.
What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

One rule of thumb is a 3-gage difference between steel and ally.

The 30" Central Machinery 3-in-1 I have will shear 1/16" 6061 but not
easily, and I sometimes have to readjust the blade gap after cutting
it. It is much happier with 0.050" 5052, which also bends better
without cracking.

Jim Wilkins

I kinda need 1/16" 5052, for rigidity and to hold the panel-mount
bearing that I'm planning on using
(http://www.igus.com/igubal/igall2.asp?p=Clip, except that their web
site is having problems at this moment).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...oll_WT_Import_

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

One rule of thumb is a 3-gage difference between steel and ally.

So .045? Argh. I need to shove at least 1/16 thick material in there.
It doesn't have to be high-tempered 6061, but I need that thickness to
accommodate a bearing (http://www.igus.com/igubal/igall2.asp?p=Clip if
the link works) and to make the assembly stiff enough.

Sigh.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...oll_WT_Import_

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Make sure that this model will take a full 12 inch sheet of metal. I
remember reading somewhere that
a guy bought the Grizzly version of this machine and discovered that
it could only handle 11.7 inches.
Since sheet metal usually comes in increments of 12" this might be a
problem with this machine. I bought
the 30" model from ENCO because of this limitation. I use it for
making radio chassis and cutting PC board.
ENCO has good deals on sheets of aluminium in their monthly sales
catalog. The 30" inch model is way larger
than I need, it would have been nice to find a true 12" shear.

Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:10:47 -0700 (PDT), the renowned
" wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
This machine:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...oll_WT_Import_

is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.

It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.

What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Make sure that this model will take a full 12 inch sheet of metal. I
remember reading somewhere that
a guy bought the Grizzly version of this machine and discovered that
it could only handle 11.7 inches.

Maybe 300mm = 11.8" The blade in my HF one (I don't think they carry
it anymore, unfortunately) measures about 350mm = 13.8".

Since sheet metal usually comes in increments of 12" this might be a
problem with this machine. I bought
the 30" model from ENCO because of this limitation. I use it for
making radio chassis and cutting PC board.
ENCO has good deals on sheets of aluminium in their monthly sales
catalog. The 30" inch model is way larger
than I need, it would have been nice to find a true 12" shear.

Jeff

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany