Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default 20 gauge steel = ?? gauge Al

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:42 am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:59:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

This machine:
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...12_Shear_Press...
is claimed to be good for up to 20 gauge mild steel.
It seems that 5052-H32 aluminum is the stuff to use, if you're going to
use aluminum.
What thickness of this stuff should I expect a "20 ga mild steel"
shear/brake/etc combo to handle?

One rule of thumb is a 3-gage difference between steel and ally.

The 30" Central Machinery 3-in-1 I have will shear 1/16" 6061 but not
easily, and I sometimes have to readjust the blade gap after cutting
it. It is much happier with 0.050" 5052, which also bends better
without cracking.

Jim Wilkins

I kinda need 1/16" 5052, for rigidity and to hold the panel-mount
bearing that I'm planning on using
(http://www.igus.com/igubal/igall2.asp?p=Clip, except that their web
site is having problems at this moment).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services