Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Gun Problem

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:27:50 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

I hope I'm not gonna have to fix this problem.

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess. It
is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I shot it
with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5' low @ maybe
200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end sights and
wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red dot above the
"rail".

The book and box are deep in storage. Am I gonna have to send this
thing back to the factory? The S&W site I tryed e-mailing before I
bought it was no help. How, do I go about fixing this problem. I'm
thinking it is just us, but I know how to shoot a gun and it is 1.5
feet low.

I've asked around here and all I get is "what ammo? and doesn't sound
good". BTW 120 g. Oh, seems to have excessive side shrapnel, I had to
stand back further than I thought when the other shot it.

I don't know what to do. Write snail mail to S&W, or call those bone
heads where I bought it. The latter might be fun.

Since I'm on guns. I can't get a .22 rifle up here and I'd like to
taste a goose for the first time before they all leave south like I
should be doing. LOL. What is the deal? I have two registered guns and
can't buy a pop gun. Suppose I'll have to wait and give a DNA sample
to get a shot gun to shoot partridge.

Try a heavier bullet. As far as the spitting, I hope you didn't buy
that thing back when S&W was turning out crap. I bought a 25-5 maybe
30 years ago (ordered it) that had a barrel cylinder gap that was
interference on one side and about 15 thou on the other. Sent it
back, and it was a little better. Dumped it. It looked like they
reamed the forcing cone with a rusty corn cob, and shot like it, too.
I hear they're making better stuff these days, but I've never owned
another S&W.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My 90's vintage S&W 5906 has been flawless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My 686-1 and Ruger GP100 are the best-shooting handguns I own aside
from .22 rimfire.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. That pistol was sighted in to shoot a 158gr standard velocity
bullet.

Recoil rise time is much shorter with a light fast bullet and thats
why he is shooting low.

If he is going to continue to shoot that particular load..a file on
the front sight is indicated

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey, Gunner. Did you get that item I left at Woody's for you on
Friday?

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes in deed! And many thanks! I got in there about 9pm and they had
it sitting on the back bar since you dropped it off. Some folks sure
gave me interesting looks when I picked it up. I think you enhanced
my reputation a smidge. Some of the more obnoxious types kept their
mouths shut while I was in there....chuckle

Let me know when the next shoot is, and Ill see about getting up there
to volunteer, etc etc

Many thanks

Say! Afore I ferget....I would be interested in buying a bunch of
once fired brass from yall, if you policed up the brass after the
shoot.

..357, and .45ACP are what I need the most. Some 9mm would be nice
too.
Id pay cash or via Paypal if you fill a bucket with em

Im rather embaressed to admit Ive run out of most of my handloads..not
built any ammo in about 4 yrs and this fall and winter, Im going to
have to have a couple reloading parties to restock up.

I suppose it would be too much..if anyone had any .41 mag brass they
would be interested in selling.....?

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Most happy to assist. :-)

I'll see what they have out there. The Lions Club, of which I am not
yet a member, but soon will be, cleans up the range. I'll ask cliff,
the Rangemaster, when I see him what they do with it.

Once things settle down around here regarding a couple of problems,
I'm going to start talking to them about another one. They were happy
that they made a few bucks. Next time I won't go nuts with the
trophies and advertising and will save more for them.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Yes in deed! And many thanks! I got in there about 9pm and they had
it sitting on the back bar since you dropped it off. Some folks sure
gave me interesting looks when I picked it up. I think you enhanced
my reputation a smidge. Some of the more obnoxious types kept their
mouths shut while I was in there....chuckle

Okay, what was the item? Use the lycos address if need be.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:37:54 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Yes in deed! And many thanks! I got in there about 9pm and they had
it sitting on the back bar since you dropped it off. Some folks sure
gave me interesting looks when I picked it up. I think you enhanced
my reputation a smidge. Some of the more obnoxious types kept their
mouths shut while I was in there....chuckle

Okay, what was the item? Use the lycos address if need be.

Wes

A Dust Collector. And a right nice one too!

1st Place trophy that I managed to somehow get by being less bad than
everyone else in my particular class, cops, ex cops, military and ex
military.

Shooting a Major caliber. Ran the course 2x, once with my daily driver
45, shooting street duty loads, and the other with my "at home in the
desert" 4" .41 Mag, using full house hunting loads. No idea which one
go the trophy. Double action only with the .41.

Oddly enough, I generally shoot faster and more accurately with a 4"
wheelgun, have for years. But I carry a self loader because they are
smaller and thinner than a similar wheel gun, and holds more ammo and
the reloads take up less space.

Trophy had this shooter on the top in the FBI stance, all nicely done,
right pretty. Jim did good. Very nice course of fire, easy for the
women and kids and the non shooters who wanted to give it a try.

The range facilities are wonderful!!! Ive not seen such a nice range,
as well taken care of and laid out so well, in many years, and seldom
in California. Unfortunately its about 60 miles away from the little
place I keep in the LA area, and about 150 miles from my home near
bakersfield, so wont be going out there all that often. But I will be
making the matches as they are scheduled.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-29, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

I suppose it would be too much..if anyone had any .41 mag brass they
would be interested in selling.....?

Have a little, yes. Interested in selling -- "Hell No!" That's
my favorite serious handgun. :-) Not quite as nasty to my wrist as a .45
Magnum, so I don't own the larger one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564