Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default swivel vs fixed casters for welder cart?

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For any cart that just moves a few feet in the shop (ie table saw base)
I use 4 swivels so I can move it to exactly where I want it. Any cart
that has to go a fair distance gets swivel casters under the handle and
fixed casters on the other end. Much easier to steer it.

For shop use and moderately heavy equipment I use 3" steel casters. If
it has to travel long halls or outside over sidewalks I use 5" hard
rubber casters. If the surfaces are really rough, you need the small
pneumatic ones.

Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:41:27 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

My buzz-box that I bought used came with a cart, two fixed
and two swivel. Better than no wheels, but someday when I'm
at Harbor Freight and they have 5 inch swivel castors on
sale (and in stock) the two fixed will be replaced.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the rubber
wheels will be exposed to hot metal/slag. Steel wheels
wouldn't care and nor do they develop flat spots from
sitting awhile in one position. I have to prop up my oxy/acy
cart or the wheels get flat spots...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It depends. 4 swivels are less stable to tipping moments, but make the
cart much more easily positioned.. 2 fixed; much more stable, but
often means you need to maneuver the cart due to the restriction of
movement 2 fixed wheels cause. Take your pick.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

It depends. 4 swivels are less stable to tipping moments, but make the
cart much more easily positioned..

That depends on the wheel spacing VS the size of the load. Where is
the center of gravity?

2 fixed; much more stable, but
often means you need to maneuver the cart due to the restriction of
movement 2 fixed wheels cause. Take your pick.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

My Dialarc HF with water cooler came with a cart having two fixed and
two swivel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

You got that right. i made ONE cart with four swivels. never again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In general, you will have an easier time moving the welder if you use only
two swivel casters--with four the thing doesn't always want to go in the
direction you are pushing. However, if you need to rotate it in place. four
swivels are much easier to deal with. Has anyone heard of casters with
swivel locks?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:31:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

In general, you will have an easier time moving the welder if you use only
two swivel casters--with four the thing doesn't always want to go in the
direction you are pushing. However, if you need to rotate it in place. four
swivels are much easier to deal with. Has anyone heard of casters with
swivel locks?

Yes, and they're great, just not cheap. I've used them extensively on
lab rigs. As all posters have pointed out, 4 swivel casters don't
travel well. However, they're great for nudging a cart into position
to make connections. The swivel locks work well.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm a 4 swivel man myself... makes it a bitch though, ya gotta find 2
shopping carts to raid, not one...lol..

FWIW all three of my locomotive stands (and a 4th I built for a friend) have
4 swivel, and they are 2 feet wide and 6 feet long, just makes it eayser to
move in the shop.

--.- Dave

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

I used 4 swivel. Reason? That's what I had handy :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:03:49 -0500, RoyJ wrote:
(top post fixed)
Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler
unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2
swivel and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

For any cart that just moves a few feet in the shop (ie table saw base)
I use 4 swivels so I can move it to exactly where I want it. Any cart
that has to go a fair distance gets swivel casters under the handle and
fixed casters on the other end. Much easier to steer it.

For shop use and moderately heavy equipment I use 3" steel casters. If
it has to travel long halls or outside over sidewalks I use 5" hard
rubber casters. If the surfaces are really rough, you need the small
pneumatic ones.

Ditto, with the proviso that the heavier it is, the shorter the 'fair'
distance becomes. A wire rack that I can fully control with my two index
fingers can have four swivel casters and go a mile without undue
fatigue. Some 500 lb monster that needs to go across the shop may demand
two fixed casters.

Clearly you should have two swivel casters and two casters that can
swivel or get locked in place. You'll have to custom build them, but
you'll be doing the work, so it's OK with me...

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-13, Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

You can live with both, but four swiveling casters is harder to
control, especially if you have some slope.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

I agree with you, except that I haven't had the opportunity to dance thusly.
I think if one does put four swivels, that they should put them farther
apart than a 2-2 setup for tipping stability.

I also suggest that one gets those kind of casters with the brake so that
the cart will stay put when you want it to, or on uneven ground.

For me, I'd use four swivels with brakes, and positioned far apart enough to
make it stable. Even if I had to drop the frame a little (like a dropped
front axle on a hot rod) so as to reduce center of gravity and put the
wheels farther outboard.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 13, 5:49*pm, Ignoramus22875 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-13, SteveB toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

[ ... ]

For me, I'd use four swivels with brakes, and positioned far apart enough to
make it stable. Even if I had to drop the frame a little (like a dropped
front axle on a hot rod) so as to reduce center of gravity and put the
wheels farther outboard.

Hmm ... and why not make an extension wing on two of the casters
and a matching wing on the leg, so you can drop a pin or a bolt in there
when you want to roll it some distance, and pull them when you need to
maneuver in tight places.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

I bought the stock Harbor Freight MIG cart (rather than re-engineer
"the cart" from scratch) and threw out the rear rigid casters. Put
two 8" pneumatic fixed axle tires mounted OUTBOARD of the cart tray
(not under it) at the rear upright of the welder cart, forward of the
bottle tray extension. (With the shielding gas bottles aft of the
axle.) The two swivel casters are at the front with the handle.

For a Dialarc and a water cooler (two heavy boxes) you might want to
play with the axle balance before fastening it down - Do what I did,
and put the rear axle on a slider of two sections of angle. Once you
get the balance right, drill four holes and bolt the axle slider to
the base of the cart - and if loads change, you can relocate the axle.

The axle crossbar is two rod nuts welded to a chunk of 1" C Channel.
The wheels are held on with large hex bolts sized to bottom the
threads leaving the wheel bearings running on the bolt shank, and a
few flat washers to take up any slack. If you ever get replacement
wheels with wider hubs, you just get longer bolts.

The pneumatic tires take the brunt of the load and are wide enough
to avoid tipping, and the swivel casters are along for the ride. The
fixed tires make steering slightly awkward, but it stays vertical.

If you go all swivel casters and they all swivel to the inside, you
better holler "Timber!!", if it's not perfectly balanced it's coming
down. And small rigid casters mounted under the table aren't a lot
better - you need a wide wheelbase with a heavy and tippy load.

Oh, and two 1/8" x 3/4" strap diagonal braces from the top shelf
down to the rear of the bottle tray, just in case - plus it gives you
a place to tie the bottles into the cart.

If you have to go over grass or dirt, you have the axle balanced so
you can pick up the swivels and run it as a two-wheel hand truck mode
to get through the rough patch.

Two 20-lb steel CO2 cylinders aft of the axle pretty much balances a
Miller Challenger by itself, and the stored 'stuff' on the bottom
shelf that adds caster weight can be removed for rough surfaces.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

I can say with some authority that crashing one into a Mercedes taxi
in Zurich is a swell way to learn some colloquial German.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Grant Erwin
wrote on Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:41:27 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

4 swivels will let you get it into tight areas easier than the
other configuration. Whether that's a problem for you, only you can
answer. (I went with that in order to get a rolling cabinet to make
the turn into the storage space. It is a real pain to get moving.)
On the other hand, four swivels are like a hog on ice, You push
on the end and it sort of goes where you aimed it. Or not. Sideways,
then travel cattywampus. And pivot and spin while it does so. Very
annoying at most times.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 14, 2:09*am, pyotr filipivich wrote:
*...4 swivels will let you get it into tight areas easier than the
other configuration. *Whether that's a problem for you, only you can
answer...

Large, expensive swivel casters work pretty well. Small, cheap, barely
adequate ones are a nuisance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:19:52 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

I can say with some authority that crashing one into a Mercedes taxi
in Zurich is a swell way to learn some colloquial German.

No doubt.

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant
If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Jim Wilkins
wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:25:04 -0700 (PDT) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Sep 14, 2:09*am, pyotr filipivich wrote:
*...4 swivels will let you get it into tight areas easier than the
other configuration. *Whether that's a problem for you, only you can
answer...

Large, expensive swivel casters work pretty well. Small, cheap, barely
adequate ones are a nuisance.

This I learned too. The first set were over loaded. The second
set "function". If I were not moving everything out in a month, I'd
bite the bullet and get bigger ones. Might have to trim the top off
the "cabinet" (A shipping crate set on end.) to get it in the door if
I did so.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Go with 2 and 2; makes it easier to back into corners. Also makes
it easier to secure.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're passing
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : through the moronosphere!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:20:14 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Baggage carts come with glide slope detectors????

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the
name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program
until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it
happened." -- Norman Thomas, American socialist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

The cart I made for my Lincoln 125+ has four swivel casters. The two
in the back are fixed now because of poor design on my part. The gas
bottle support interferes with the casters swivelling. I will be
changing the bottle mount in order to regain 4 swivelling casters.
Only two swivels make for a poorly manuvering weld cart.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

Two and two. Makes it easier to steer. Four swivels seem to have a mind
of their own.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 05:11:30
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble

Gad, I'd forgotten about that.

The apartment building I lived in had carts available to move
stuff in and out. Really helpful, save that the sidewalk was a little
bit canted, and the parking lot was not level, or flat. I wound up
getting myself my own hand truck to move furniture in (and later,
out).
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Baggage carts come with glide slope detectors????

Ramps are not unusual in European airports. Baggage carts don't work
well on stairs or escalators.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Baggage carts come with glide slope detectors????

Ramps are not unusual in European airports. Baggage carts don't work
well on stairs or escalators.

should I have put in a g?

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the
name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program
until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it
happened." -- Norman Thomas, American socialist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:30:02 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Baggage carts come with glide slope detectors????

Akk - bad pun. Bad, bad pun. No soup for the pun.

I just wish I'd thought of it first.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Baggage carts come with glide slope detectors????

Akk - bad pun. Bad, bad pun. No soup for the pun.

I just wish I'd thought of it first.

pyotr

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit..

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

* * * *Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
* * * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
* * Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive
*The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me
* * No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses * *
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Wise words about the tipping potential...

Earlier I picked up a heavy cart with all four wheels swivel...and who
ever build the cart place the wheels far inside the perimeter of the
cart. I recently had about 400 pounds of drill presses on the cart
when it decided to tip...excitement and curse words galore as it went
over in slow motion with me serving as the counterweight.

Other than a few bent brackets, crushed condensers and scratched paint
everything and everyone was all right.

The cart is on the top of the to do list to be redesigned for safety
and two RIGID casters.

FWIW...I had been in such a hurry that I forgot to check the placement
of the casters before using the cart....an example of how one's
stupidity can get you hurt.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 13, 10:41*am, Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

Might I add the request of where to get good casters cheap?

Most of the ones I use are surplus and locally scourged.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob wrote:

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

We have a pipe threading machine with 4 swivels. Moving it any distance is a like
mudwrestling that drunk fat lady.

Somewhere I saw swivel casters with a lock pin so you could convert to fixed. I'd
consider that option.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

Ayup. My very very elderly Oster pipe threader has 4 swivels..and its
a royal pain in the ass.

Yikes. The four swivel caster beast we have at work is an Oster pipe threader.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:27:50 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

Ayup. My very very elderly Oster pipe threader has 4 swivels..and its
a royal pain in the ass.

Yikes. The four swivel caster beast we have at work is an Oster pipe threader.

Wes

Its probably as old as I am, and it keeps working just hunky. Ive got
chasers for damned near every rod and pipe thread possible.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Its probably as old as I am, and it keeps working just hunky. Ive got
chasers for damned near every rod and pipe thread possible.

I wonder if new chasers are still available. I was able to purchase a new cutting oil
pump a year ago.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 1:27*pm, Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. *4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

Ayup. *My very very elderly Oster pipe threader has 4 swivels..and its
a royal pain in the ass.

Yikes. *The four swivel caster beast we have at work is an Oster pipe threader.

Wes

It seems to me that 4 swivels work for relatively light machines on a
flat floor, and tight places. Two and two are better for heavier
machines, rough floors or dirt, and longer distances.