Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dirt Devil Swivel Glide Vision Handle Doesn't Lock in UprightPosition- FIXED!

I’ve seen a few posts here and there about this problem and thought
I’d post the fix. The handle doesn’t lock in the upright position on
the Dirt Devil Swivel Glide Vision, might apply to similar models.
The problem is a broken plastic tab in the vicinity of the handle
release pedal assembly. Once you get the four screws off the
underside, remove the topside of the motor cover. Slide off the pedal
release assembly. Right next to it will be a silver metal retainer
secured with a single screw. Remove this screw and the retainer. The
broken tab should fall out. Molded onto the body of the vacuum
cleaner is a round piece of plastic that causes the swivel action of
the handle. The broken tab is part of this round piece and locks into
the pedal assembly. You need to epoxy this plastic part back into its
position, it should have been a clean break. Dab some epoxy (I used
JBWeld for this, my epoxy of choice) along the broken edges and secure
tightly in place. You may need to put some weight on it so it will
stay put. After the epoxy has hardened (overnight is fine), mix about
a thimble full of epoxy. Some people might also suggest roughening up
the immediate area to improve adhesion. Tilt the vacuum cleaner 45
degrees while on its side so that when you place the epoxy at the base
of the break, it does not pour out. You will be placing the epoxy on
the inside of the round piece only opposite the break, because it will
otherwise interfere with the tilting action. It helps to stiffen the
epoxy by letting it sit for 15 minutes or so. What you are doing is
thickening up the base of the tab that broke and reinforcing it onto
the round piece. I did this step in two parts for a good solid build
up. Make sure that the epoxy will not interfere with the operation of
the pedal assembly after it hardens. Now let it dry overnight, re-
assemble, and voila! the handle now locks into place like before.
Very easy to do. So far has lasted a few weeks. This JBWeld stuff is
quite tough and adheres very well to plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to biddy67, Ed wrote:
JBWeld

Just what I was looking for. I'm having the exact same issue, except my tab is
still partially attached to the round piece. Can't wait to try this out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gh-327256-.htm