Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for some help in selecting a floor glide

I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some glides
to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of course
the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc. but I'm
concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up sliding it
around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few catalogs but I
don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right direction or
give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some glides
to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of course
the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc. but I'm
concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up sliding it
around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few catalogs but I
don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right direction or
give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Rubber feet should do the trick. They should be available at your local
home improvement sto

http://www.midatlanticrubber.com/prod_9.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder took a can of maroon spray paint on November 17, 2007 02:31 pm
and wrote the following:

I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some
glides to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of
course the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc.
but I'm concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up
sliding it around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few
catalogs but I don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right
direction or give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

Anything that will prevent sliding, will mess up the floor, my best idea is
adding weight, have you considered a false bottom, with some weight plates
(think Arnold) or something similar in the bottom.
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

I thought about that (I should have mentioned that in my original post) but
I think they will make skid marks though you can clean up the skid marks.
Maybe there is some kind of rubber that won't leave skid marks. I have to go
to Rockler on Monday. Maybe they have something..............

Posted to rec.woodworking

and wrote the following:

[...]

I had the same concern (I should have mentioned that I had already thought
about rubber feet in my original post). I don't want to go the weights way
as it will take up room in the toy box. I know that some kind of erasers
don't make marks and are sticky. I have one in front of me right now that is
2" x 3/4" and is white. Maybe I could put those under the toy
box...................

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
. ..
I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some
glides to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of
course the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc.
but I'm concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up
sliding it around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few
catalogs but I don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right
direction or give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Think Crutch or walker tips, the gray ones. Made to not slip and leave
marks, fairly cheap and easy to modify for your project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote in message
The black rubber feet leave marks but the gray ones don't. I think they
are
made of a vinyl rubber. I have them on a big toolbox and have never made a
mark with them.
Sorry, I don't remember where I got them but they must have been easy to
find because I wasn't looking for anything special when I got them. I
would
likely have bought the black ones only the toolbox is painted gray so that
is likely why I bought them. It's been a while, maybe 15 years or so, and
still no marks.

Charley

and wrote the following:

[...]

I will look for grey rubber feet. I have to go to Rockler on Monday (I'm
lucky - they are only 45 minutes from my house) and will see if they have
grey rubber feet. Thanks for the tip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Another idea would be silicone rubber feet. Turn the box over, but a
generous dab of silicone calking on the feet, and let it dry. You
could probably form it a little bit to get a flat bottom.

I don't think that's slippery, and it won't mark.

Old Guy

On Nov 17, 1:31 pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some glides
to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of course
the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc. but I'm
concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up sliding it
around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few catalogs but I
don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right direction or
give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my
grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some
glides
to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of course
the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc. but
I'm
concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up sliding it
around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few catalogs but
don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right direction or
give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Thanks. If I can't find a grey rubber foot that won't mark wood floors I
will give this a try.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I put up an earlier posting about a toy box I am building for my
grandson.
This group was a great help as usual. I have a second issue I'm trying to
solve.

The toy box is going to sit on a wood floor and I'd like to find some
glides
to put on the bottom that will actually make it harder to move. Of course
the whole idea of a glide it to make it easier to move a chair etc. but
I'm
concerned that my grandson will push on the toy box and end up sliding it
around too easily on the wood floors. I have looked at a few catalogs but
don't see an "anti-glide". Can anyone point me in the right direction or
give me a search term to find what I am looking for?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

I found some grey rubber bumpers today at Rockler that I can use easily as
feet so I am in business. Thanks again.

Stanley Quiet-Glide Garage Door Opener Remote Model Number? Lulu58e2 Home Repair 1 April 22nd 07 03:03 AM
Selecting a chuck Spinney Woodturning 15 January 7th 07 03:07 PM
FA: 1969 Camaro 327/350-glide-auto shifter-shift plates-console trim-Ebay-$25 duty-honor-country Home Repair 0 March 15th 06 05:48 PM
Need advice selecting ceramic floor tiles Ron M. Home Repair 4 December 2nd 05 03:07 PM
Need advice selecting ceramic floor tiles Ron M. Home Ownership 4 December 2nd 05 03:07 PM