Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default swivel vs fixed casters for welder cart?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:19:52 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:39:38 -0700, Bob
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:41:27 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I'm designing a cart for a Miller DialArc HF plus Miller TIG cooler unit.

I just wanted to hear if you guys would use 4 swivel casters or 2 swivel
and 2 fixed, and why.

Grant

If you have to move it more than a few (2-3) feet, 2 fixed and 2
swivel. 4 swiveling casters is like dancing with a drunk fat
lady......

Bob

There's a trick to it. The baggage carts in european airports have
four swivel casters. Those crashing noises are from people who
haven't yet learned how to "drive" them. Once the knack is accquired,
they're actually easier than 2 fixed + 2 swivels.

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

I can say with some authority that crashing one into a Mercedes taxi
in Zurich is a swell way to learn some colloquial German.

No doubt.

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.