Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Protect copper shine from tarnish?

I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill B" wrote in message
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

1) Wax needs to be re-applied from time to time depending on exposure. Paste
wax is good as is home-made mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine.
2) Some people use combo of paste wax and linseed oil even for outdoors.
3) Try Penetrol - it is good on steel, I have not tried it on copper.
4) Finally, consider Future Floor finish (acrylic). The times I tried it on
metals it is invisible and rather durable, although I do not have a long
term experience yet.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

There's a product for this but I don't remember what it's called. I
think it bakes on. Google for it.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

There's a product for this but I don't remember what it's called. I
think it bakes on. Google for it.

Dow Corning makes a bake-on silicone varnish intended to protect copper,
brass, and bronze objects that are exposed to the elements. The main
market is lock and door hardware, but it may also be used for statues.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill B wrote:
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

Lacquer. Mohawk sell a specific Lacquer for Brass, which I've found
sticks and wears well, flows wonderfully. Some things called lacquer
are NOT.... Deft or Delft comes to mind - smells awful, dries slowly
and cannot be removed - maybe this is a good thing for some....
/mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Use CAR wax. It lasts longer and is uv protecting (itself).
Car wax is great in traffic areas that the normal floor wax gets
consumed to fast.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Michael Koblic wrote:
"Bill B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 10, 5:56*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
[...]

That's the one I was thinking of.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:
Bill B wrote:
[...]

Musical instruments use lacquer cut 50% with alcohol IIRC.
Flow much better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 9, 11:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

Microcrystalline wax, used for museum preservation, some woodworking
outfits have it. That's for objects not being handled much. There
are lacquers specifically meant for brasswork, again some woodworking
suppliers have it. Think brass musical instrument finish in a spray
can.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,

" wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
[...]

I think that it's Dow Corning 1-2577 Conformal Coating. I got a sample
of this in 1981, and may be misremembering. I would call Dow Corning
and ask.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

Michael Koblic wrote:
"Bill B" wrote in message
[...]

I used some "Mothers California Gold" car wax with Carnauba. Seems to
work and the copper surface shows no sign of oxidation in 3 days.
Time will tell.

Another surface has a glossy picture glued on and I'm wondering if
some of the same wax would help preserve that. I tried some of the wax
on another photograph, and it seemed to improve the shine somewhat,
but hard to tell.

Is it a good idea to use car wax on shiny photographs?

-Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 3:10*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
[...]

That's the time period I heard about it.
Karl