Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Protect copper shine from tarnish?

"Bill B" wrote in message
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

1) Wax needs to be re-applied from time to time depending on exposure. Paste
wax is good as is home-made mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine.
2) Some people use combo of paste wax and linseed oil even for outdoors.
3) Try Penetrol - it is good on steel, I have not tried it on copper.
4) Finally, consider Future Floor finish (acrylic). The times I tried it on
metals it is invisible and rather durable, although I do not have a long
term experience yet.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC