PM

Default Tarnish resistant door hardware

Replacing exterior doors and would like your opinions on the best (or
better) manufacturers of hardware that won't tarnish so fast. Has much
changed over the past decade?

Thanks,
Phil

Improver?

I know this, I bought a Kwickset lockset for a new front door, in
polished brass, with the elongated handle, "trigger" style latch and a
matching deadbolt. It came with a one-year warranty. Within 6 months
(there's no storm door) the brass looked like pot metal.

Whatever you decide on, make the purchase on a separate receipt, and
save it along with the packing material, instructions, warranty and
box.

It seems even well-known, class-A hardware like Baldwin and Shlege get
a bad lot every now and then.

dadiOH

PM wrote:
Replacing exterior doors and would like your opinions on the best (or
better) manufacturers of hardware that won't tarnish so fast. Has
much changed over the past decade?

Some manufacturers offer a "lifetime" guarantee against brass
tarnishing. How they achive that I have no idea since there has to be a
coating to prevent tarnishing and coatings wear away.

There is always nickel...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"PM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Replacing exterior doors and would like your opinions on the best (or
better) manufacturers of hardware that won't tarnish so fast. Has much
changed over the past decade?

Thanks,
Phil

I'm no metallurgist but it seems to me that brass, copper etc... will
tarnish. I suppose there might be stuff that looks like brass, etc...that
might not tarnish. The easiest way to keep stuff from tarnishing is to
coat it with lacquer. That's pretty much what most hardware mfg's do as
far as I know.
I actually purposely tarnished some brass hinges for a hutch that I made and
then coated them with spray on lacquer. They haven't lost their tarnish
and it hasn't gotten worse either.
Cheers,
cc

m Ransley

There is a new process used by some that bonds the finish at the
molecular level and those companies offer a lifetime warranty, usually
you get a 1 year or lifetime, the 1 year process is going to fail fast.

PM

Thanks to all for the prompt replies. I'll check carefully before
purchase. Again, I appreciate your help.

Phil