Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Protect copper shine from tarnish?

In article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 9, 7:02*pm, Bill B wrote:
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

-Bill

There's a product for this but I don't remember what it's called. I
think it bakes on. Google for it.

Dow Corning makes a bake-on silicone varnish intended to protect copper,
brass, and bronze objects that are exposed to the elements. The main
market is lock and door hardware, but it may also be used for statues.

Joe Gwinn