Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill B[_3_] Bill B[_3_] is offline

Default Protect copper shine from tarnish?

On Aug 10, 6:48 pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
Use CAR wax. It lasts longer and is uv protecting (itself).
Car wax is great in traffic areas that the normal floor wax gets
consumed to fast.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

Michael Koblic wrote:
"Bill B" wrote in message
I have a flat shiny copper surface I want to protect from tarnishing.
I used a thin coat of varnish which seemed to work, but the surface
came out a little rough with fine grains of varnish on it. So, I
removed the varnish using Brasso polish and then got the idea of using
some car wax to protect the surface from tarnishing. It shines very
well, almost like a mirror, but I'm wondering how long the wax will
last?

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to preserve a copper
shine, assuming some fingerprints may be added from handling?

1) Wax needs to be re-applied from time to time depending on exposure. Paste
wax is good as is home-made mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine.
2) Some people use combo of paste wax and linseed oil even for outdoors.
3) Try Penetrol - it is good on steel, I have not tried it on copper.
4) Finally, consider Future Floor finish (acrylic). The times I tried it on
metals it is invisible and rather durable, although I do not have a long
term experience yet.

I used some "Mothers California Gold" car wax with Carnauba. Seems to
work and the copper surface shows no sign of oxidation in 3 days.
Time will tell.

Another surface has a glossy picture glued on and I'm wondering if
some of the same wax would help preserve that. I tried some of the wax
on another photograph, and it seemed to improve the shine somewhat,
but hard to tell.

Is it a good idea to use car wax on shiny photographs?

-Bill