Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford plant that the union won't allow in the US

http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:11:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

Indeed. But, you know as well as I do that Ford is building them
there because it's much cheaper there than here. Labor has to be less
than 1/4 of what it is here, medical packages (IF they supply them
there) are likely 10 cents on the dollar to here, etc.

One reason I didn't buy a Ford is because I'm afraid of their future;
I don't know that they'll last out the decade. Another one is that an
F-150 at Mock Ford here in GP cost over $15k ($40-45k vs $26k) more
for an equivalent vehicle to the Tundra I bought. With Toyota's superb
craftsmanship and satisfaction ratings and Ford's sadly waning rep, I
really had no choice at all.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 1:11 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

Interesting video of a modern manufacturing plant - right at the end,
occupying about 5 seconds, was the line that the Unions wouldn't allow
it to be built in the US. Who made the film, who paid for it - looks
more like an advertisement than a serious look at engineering
technology - and the Happy Smiling Workers - sorta reminded me of the
Soviet Union 1930's propaganda....

You accept this at face value - what happened to critical thinking?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Honda (and possibly Toyota) have plants
in the US, making a profit, making cars people want to buy - how did
they do it , in the face of the Luddite "Unions"?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Ideology - easier than thinking.
anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Aug 7, 1:11 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

Interesting video of a modern manufacturing plant - right at the end,
occupying about 5 seconds, was the line that the Unions wouldn't allow
it to be built in the US. Who made the film, who paid for it - looks
more like an advertisement than a serious look at engineering
technology - and the Happy Smiling Workers - sorta reminded me of the
Soviet Union 1930's propaganda....

You accept this at face value - what happened to critical thinking?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Honda (and possibly Toyota) have plants
in the US, making a profit, making cars people want to buy - how did
they do it , in the face of the Luddite "Unions"?

They (and Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.) built most of their plants in
impoverished areas, in the South, where there is no history of unions.
They're always ready to move their plants if there is a big union threat,
and they let it be known, subtlely. They're mostly able to avoid outright
illegality regarding US labor laws.

They also get huge tax breaks from the states and municipalities into which
they move, which shifts the burden for infrastructure, etc., onto the
workers. But the workers in those areas are happy just to have jobs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 5:30 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ed - was curious how it was done..

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message

snip
But the workers in those areas are happy just to have jobs.

--
Ed Huntress

I wonder if people in Michigan would be happy just to have jobs...oh, never
mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message

snip
But the workers in those areas are happy just to have jobs.

--
Ed Huntress

I wonder if people in Michigan would be happy just to have jobs...oh,
never mind.

I think the people in Michigan, having seen what enterprise *can* do for a
society, recognize that the current scheme is a complete ripoff, partly
engineered by business interests and globalization ideology, and partly an
inevitable consequence of historical development. They may not know how it
happened, but they know the difference between the lives they once lived and
the lives they live now.

When you think about this subject, Tom, you should keep a couple of things
in perspective. One is that the old system was working for everyone
involved: workers were well-paid, and the businesses were getting loaded.
Another one is that this all changed when the world finally recovered from
WWII and became competitive with the US. Nothing much happened in the US to
put a crimp in our economy -- excepting a few sinkholes like the war in
Vietnam -- but everything changed in the world around us. Another issue that
looms pretty large, but which is exceedingly hard to measure, is that a lot
of the wind has gone out of our sails as we've run out of common goals to
work for. Frankly, we already achieved a reasonable approximation of
post-WWII goals by the mid- to late '60s. We've been floundering ever since,
while the developed world is just getting fired up about their own
possibilities.

I think you know I've spent over 20 years studying this and writing about
it, interviewing dozens of economists, government officials, corporate
executives, and so on. They can make the situation sound immensely
complicated an indecipherable, but it's really not. The usual excuses simply
don't add up. At every point in trying to unravel this, you need to look at
numbers. You have to make a balance sheet and P&L out of the whole thing to
see the big picture. The economic externalities, such as the unaccounted-for
costs of degrading the environment, DO NOT explain it. Our reversed trade
balance DOES NOT explain it. Deficit spending DOES NOT explain it, because
there was relatively little of it accumulated throughout that period, until
the mid-'80s. Even now, when you take out our deficits and re-calculate
where we would be without our current rates of deficit spending, it DOES NOT
explain it. Higher wages DO NOT explain it.

Only one thing involves numbers large enough to largely explain it, and that
is the effects of world competition. That's NOT to say it's explained by our
trade balance. What it is to say is that we are in a race to the bottom,
with competition shaving the margins off of wages and savings, directly and
indirectly, while business simultaneously has maneuvered to avoid the line
of fire, maintaining their profits in any way possible. We're winding up
with an economically divided society, and that makes us much weaker as an
economic force.

Even simplified, it's not something we could credibly discuss here, or in a
book, or in ten books. But you get a sense of it after spending a decade or
two tracking it down, digging up the numbers and seeing what's real and
what's an excuse. I don't pretend to have the answers to it but I think I do
have a sense of where the big numbers are, and what the forces are that are
at work. It's nothing like the trivialities usually discussed here; your
comments about unions and wages sound to me (with all due respect) like the
thoughts of a man floundering around for answers and scapegoats. Your
numbers simply don't add up, as I sometimes point out and as you always
ignore. g

I'm not going to try to change your thinking. You're comfortable with your
understandings and I rarely try to upset applecarts these days; those days
are over for me. Instead, you and your thinking becomes the object of
interest. MY interest has gravitated from understanding the economy to
understanding the people in it. And you and the people who agree with you
are an interesting object of study, to say the least. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message

snip
[...]

As an object of study, you're wasting your time. I reluctantly admit to
being disingenuous in many of my statements about unions, politics,
economics, society and such. Sometimes, my main goal is to provoke, mock or
entertain. I'm inspired by some of the more ridiculous remarks from the
usual suspects to make stereotypical remarks from an opposing view. There
sure are some easy marks readily available! I have to confess that your
perception, the product of what I have presented over the years, is the
result of my whim and mood.

However, anything mechanically related comes from the heart!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

snip

As an object of study, you're wasting your time. I reluctantly admit to
being disingenuous in many of my statements about unions, politics,
economics, society and such. Sometimes, my main goal is to provoke, mock
or entertain. I'm inspired by some of the more ridiculous remarks from
the usual suspects to make stereotypical remarks from an opposing view.
There sure are some easy marks readily available! I have to confess that
your perception, the product of what I have presented over the years, is
the result of my whim and mood.

On one hand, it's a relief to know you're not as stupid as you sometimes
appear to be. d8-) On the other hand, it's disappointing to learn that
you're really a troll. d8-(

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Zing, and Zing...it doesn't count coming from a abortion loving,
anti-business, God hating, tax & spend, hate the rich, amoral, evolutionist,
wealth redistributing, gay loving, global warming, union minion, misguided,
lying, cheating, move-on.org, fringe, lemming, "hope and change" liberal!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:05:28 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

snip

As an object of study, you're wasting your time. I reluctantly admit to
being disingenuous in many of my statements about unions, politics,
economics, society and such. Sometimes, my main goal is to provoke, mock
or entertain. I'm inspired by some of the more ridiculous remarks from
the usual suspects to make stereotypical remarks from an opposing view.
There sure are some easy marks readily available! I have to confess that
your perception, the product of what I have presented over the years, is
the result of my whim and mood.

On one hand, it's a relief to know you're not as stupid as you sometimes
appear to be. d8-) On the other hand, it's disappointing to learn that
you're really a troll. d8-(

Of course he's a troll-- Tom even looks like a troll. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .

snip

[...]

Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Not to mention smell...and in some ways taste!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:05:28 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

snip

As an object of study, you're wasting your time. I reluctantly admit to
being disingenuous in many of my statements about unions, politics,
economics, society and such. Sometimes, my main goal is to provoke, mock
or entertain. I'm inspired by some of the more ridiculous remarks from
the usual suspects to make stereotypical remarks from an opposing view.
There sure are some easy marks readily available! I have to confess that
your perception, the product of what I have presented over the years, is
the result of my whim and mood.

On one hand, it's a relief to know you're not as stupid as you sometimes
appear to be. d8-) On the other hand, it's disappointing to learn that
you're really a troll. d8-(

Ditto me on Tawm's remarks, Ed. Tawdry one-liners are often hard to
keep to myself.

We're all Trollzos on this bus.

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:48:35 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

[...]

You owe me one new keyboard and monitor. Coffee all OVER!

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:34:05 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

However, anything mechanically related comes from the heart!

That cancels out everything else :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on Monday.
I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to you tomorrow.

--
Ed Huntress

(remove the "3" for valid e-mail address)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message ...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Sorry Ed,
I assumed it was electronic.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message ...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Sorry Ed,
I assumed it was electronic.

That's OK. He can pass it on to you. It's pretty good; it will give you a
lot of insight into the NRA's organization and infighting, which is
considerable.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:32:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him PAY
for it. bseg

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:27:41 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

However, anything mechanically related comes from the heart!

That cancels out everything else :-)

No, no. Just the negative stuff.

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him PAY
for it. bseg

You CAN'T charge him for it. I got it for free -- it's an editor's review
copy. If they catch you, I'll get thrown out of the editors' union. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I live to make you smile!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it
to you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him PAY
for it. bseg

LOL
That was Tom Gardner after I called him a cry baby.

Just send it back to Ed Larry. I'll pick up a copy when it's published.
Guns and the Second have never interested me much. I've never had a problem
purchasing a weapon don't know anyone that has.

The issue appears to be all light and heat without much substance and the
opposing parties take such radically different positions that I don't
believe either side. When I see that behavior I conclude it's a hot button
campaign issue, like Roe, not reality.

I thought "Ricochet" might afford me the opportunity to get a little genuine
insight into one of the few issues that have poisoned politics in America.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:15:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Larry, send me your address and I'll send _Ricochet_ off to you on
Monday. I'm taking off for Virginia in a few hours or I'd send it to
you tomorrow.

Hey Ed,
Send it to me as well if you would.
I'll pick up a copy if you aren't able but I'm lazy in my old age.
Yeah.
LOL

Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him PAY
for it. bseg

You CAN'T charge him for it. I got it for free -- it's an editor's review
copy. If they catch you, I'll get thrown out of the editors' union. d8-)

Ah, so you're a _union_ man, are ya?

rubs hands together while evoking an evil, evil grinne

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 01:44:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "John
R. Carroll" quickly quoth:

Ed Huntress wrote:
Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him PAY
for it. bseg

LOL
That was Tom Gardner after I called him a cry baby.

I could have sworn you and Ig piped up, too.
(Aug 2, "China Trade costs jobs..." thread)

Gotcha. Publishing date: October 2007. http://tinyurl.com/5d7d8o

The issue appears to be all light and heat without much substance and the
opposing parties take such radically different positions that I don't
believe either side. When I see that behavior I conclude it's a hot button
campaign issue, like Roe, not reality.

And AFAIC, neither should be a stumping issue.

I thought "Ricochet" might afford me the opportunity to get a little genuine
insight into one of the few issues that have poisoned politics in America.

I thought it was politics which poisoned everything else. shrug

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Sure. Larry, send it to John. g

It's a pretty fast read. He'll be done with it soon.

Um, wasn't he the rich bastid who was just bragging the other day
about being a millionaire several times over? I'm gonna make him
PAY for it. bseg

LOL
That was Tom Gardner after I called him a cry baby.

I could have sworn you and Ig piped up, too.
(Aug 2, "China Trade costs jobs..." thread)

Tom asked a direct question and got a direct answer.

Just send it back to Ed Larry. I'll pick up a copy when it's
published. Guns and the Second have never interested me much. I've
never had a problem purchasing a weapon don't know anyone that has.

Gotcha. Publishing date: October 2007. http://tinyurl.com/5d7d8o

$4.85 plus S&H.

The issue appears to be all light and heat without much substance
and the opposing parties take such radically different positions
that I don't believe either side. When I see that behavior I
conclude it's a hot button campaign issue, like Roe, not reality.

And AFAIC, neither should be a stumping issue.

I thought "Ricochet" might afford me the opportunity to get a little
genuine insight into one of the few issues that have poisoned
politics in America.

I thought it was politics which poisoned everything else. shrug

Absent politics there wouldn't be anything else Larry.
We'd still be living in caves.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:25:36 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "John
R. Carroll" quickly quoth:

Gotcha. Publishing date: October 2007. http://tinyurl.com/5d7d8o

$4.85 plus S&H.

Not bad. I often find books for a penny, then pay $4 shipping for the
darned things. g

I thought it was politics which poisoned everything else. shrug

Absent politics there wouldn't be anything else Larry.
We'd still be living in caves.

I suppose politics is a necessary evil for society, but it makes me
wonder how necessary society is.

Asocially yours, LJ

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner spamless wrote:

http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

I doubt it since companies normally locate their most advanced
factories where labor costs are highest, their least modern ones where
labor is cheap.

It's possible Ford just wants to get rid of all US production, as GM
may be trying to do: 90% of GM's US jobs have been eliminated in the
past few decades, bringing the number down to under 50,000.