Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ford plant that the union won't allow in the US

wrote in message
On Aug 7, 1:11 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
http://info.detnews.com:80/video/index.cfm?id=1189

It seems the UAW should be renamed the ANTI-UAW.

Interesting video of a modern manufacturing plant - right at the end,
occupying about 5 seconds, was the line that the Unions wouldn't allow
it to be built in the US. Who made the film, who paid for it - looks
more like an advertisement than a serious look at engineering
technology - and the Happy Smiling Workers - sorta reminded me of the
Soviet Union 1930's propaganda....

You accept this at face value - what happened to critical thinking?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Honda (and possibly Toyota) have plants
in the US, making a profit, making cars people want to buy - how did
they do it , in the face of the Luddite "Unions"?

They (and Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.) built most of their plants in
impoverished areas, in the South, where there is no history of unions.
They're always ready to move their plants if there is a big union threat,
and they let it be known, subtlely. They're mostly able to avoid outright
illegality regarding US labor laws.

They also get huge tax breaks from the states and municipalities into which
they move, which shifts the burden for infrastructure, etc., onto the
workers. But the workers in those areas are happy just to have jobs.

--
Ed Huntress