Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A trip to the Zeppelin Plant

The company I work for sent me and some others from our plant to
Friedrichshafen Germany to the Zeppelin plant to inspect equipment and
observe the operation of a new line we are getting.

We went to the Zeppelin Museum and got to go in the passenger compartment of
a re-creation of the Hindenburg. It was interesting to see the construction
of the Hindenburg was similar to what I have seen in homebuilt aluminum
aircraft. They had an assorment of rivet squeezers on display. It looked
like the Zeppelin structure was squeezer friendly and I doubt they needed
bucking bars and hammers very much. They showed the roll forms and the
various stages of formed aluminum channels. They also showed the stampings
from blank to finished for the parts between channels. The structure was
made from sections similar to TV antenna towers with 3 channels and the
stamped pieces rivited between them.

They wouldn't let us take pictures in the Museum but much of what they had
has pictures available on the internet. They had Zeppelin engines up to 16
cylinder 500hp and a Prop I would estimate to be 20ft dia or maybe more.

The plant in Friedrichshafen makes silos and material handling systems, etc.
We saw some big slip roll forming equipment and such for making the large
silos. Their silos were TIG welded together.

I think they had something to do with making the Goodyear blimps and they
have a few Zeppelin blimps in Germany. They had some parts of a Zeppelin
blimp they were in the process of constructing. The Zeppelins they build
now are 12 passenger and the length of the Hindenburgs Aileron (that's what
they said, I think they might have been speaking of what I would call the
tail fins).

There is nothing left of the original plants because the area was heavily
bombed in the last days of WWII. The old Zeppelin airships were recycled to
make warplanes and the V-2 rocket engines were made "there", I'm not sure if
"there" meant the Zeppelin plant or another plant in the city.

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it out
but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per
gallon.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it out
but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per
gallon.

A more telling question is,,, how much are they paying for gasoline? Now
that you have told us how much they are paying for gasoline plus taxes,
ie... what is the tax burden on on litre of gasoline?

George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 6:04 am, "Roger_N" wrote:
[...]

What a lucky guy!

My wife and I, our oldest son and his German girl friend went on a
trip around Southern Germany in 1991. We visited the museum one
Sunday. That was great, but your seeing the current factory would have
been more fun.

We are so close, but have never been to the Tillamook Oregon blimp
base/hanger. Have to see it if I ever get retired.

Best regards,

Paul in Central Oregon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:20:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, George
quickly quoth:

snip

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it out
but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per
gallon.

A more telling question is,,, how much are they paying for gasoline? Now
that you have told us how much they are paying for gasoline plus taxes,
ie... what is the tax burden on on litre of gasoline?

About half the gas price, 65.45 cents/litre in 2003.
http://www.germany.info/relaunch/bus...s/eco_tax.html

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger_N" wrote in
:

The company I work for sent me and some others from our plant to
Friedrichshafen Germany to the Zeppelin plant to inspect equipment and
observe the operation of a new line we are getting.

I love visiting Germany. I've been there quite a few times for my company.
It's almost a totally different culture over there. The only thing that
really SUX about it, is that 9 hr over/11 hr back plane ride. That's a long
time to be packed in an aluminum can like sardines. (And they do pack you
in too.)

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip
About half the gas price, 65.45 cents/litre in 2003.
http://www.germany.info/relaunch/bus...s/eco_tax.html

Thanks Roger and Larry, that sort of puts it in true perspective,
doesn't it?

George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:
snip
About half the gas price, 65.45 cents/litre in 2003.
http://www.germany.info/relaunch/bus...s/eco_tax.html

Thanks Roger and Larry, that sort of puts it in true perspective,
doesn't it?

George

People complain about oil company profits, yet even in the US,
government _takes_ more than oil companies _make_ on a gallon of
gasoline. Another way to look at it is that the hated Lee Raymond sold
us full tanks, Uncle Sam stiffs us with empty promises. And of course,
Lee had competitors; last I looked, the IRS and wannabes still uses
threats, coercion, and force to get what they want.

I am not saying that I want coal ash landing on my roof and nuclear
waste in the gutters, but how in the hell can any thinking person
believe that allowing government to double the price of fuels is going
to lead to any good whatsoever. Look at their track record in every
other endeavor - they seem to get nothing right except stealing from
Peter to buy Paul's vote. And when it all goes wrong, they tell us that
the problem is that our taxes are too low.

End of rant.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:
snip

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it out
but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per
gallon.

A more telling question is,,, how much are they paying for gasoline? Now
that you have told us how much they are paying for gasoline plus taxes,
ie... what is the tax burden on on litre of gasoline?

George

Thanks for being a ****ing asshole for hijacking the thread, George!

Next time change the ****ing subject header!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rick wrote:
George wrote:
snip

Gasoline in Germany was 1.40 Euros per litre, I haven't calculated it
out
but with the exchange rates and all it would come out to about $7-$8 per
gallon.

A more telling question is,,, how much are they paying for gasoline?
Now that you have told us how much they are paying for gasoline plus
taxes, ie... what is the tax burden on on litre of gasoline?

George

Thanks for being a ****ing asshole for hijacking the thread, George!

Next time change the ****ing subject header!

Sorry to have offended you, I was merely commenting on subject matter
the OP included in his post.

George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We are so close, but have never been to the Tillamook Oregon blimp
base/hanger. Have to see it if I ever get retired.

It's worth the trip, and the Evergreen museum (spruce goose and a lot of
other aircraft) is less than 2 hours away.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anthony wrote:

I love visiting Germany. I've been there quite a few times for my company.
It's almost a totally different culture over there. The only thing that
really SUX about it, is that 9 hr over/11 hr back plane ride. That's a long
time to be packed in an aluminum can like sardines. (And they do pack you
in too.)

Count yourself lucky. My one trip to Germany was on a DC-7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-7 Yup 355 Mph cruise, do da math.

They changed out two engines before we left the airport and I broke out with
measles on the way. No they were not German.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

End of rant.