Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT? 150' extension cord

On 2008-08-01, nick hull wrote:
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Can you buy the proper length of cable at Home Depot or McMaster and
make a extension cord yourself with a male and female plug?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

Errol Groff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

For petes sake just make it! :-(
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:10:52 -0400, Errol Groff
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

Errol Groff

Well, obviously. Also note that you may need a larger AWG of wire than
is called for by the required ampacity of the load in order to keep
the voltage drop within reason.

Particularly important if you're running an extension to your shed to
run a compressor (as in a beer fridge). Too much series resistance can
lead to a stalled compressor on start-up and subsequent frying and
warm beer.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

Errol Groff

And for Crom's sake..do NOT tie a knot in a cord that long!

You will be checking for hours trying to find out why the juice
stopped flowing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

Errol Groff

And for Crom's sake..do NOT tie a knot in a cord that long!

You will be checking for hours trying to find out why the juice
stopped flowing

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Errol Groff" wrote: If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put
the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh. Where in the original post does it say the cord will be used on DC?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

Can I use the same magnets that I put on my car's fuel line to increase my
gas mileage?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe my
cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells them?
Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

For petes sake just make it! :-(
...lew...

Agreed. And almost always better.
Any type plug, one of those blue plastic shallow handyboxes at HD, a wall
receptacle, and 16 ga lampcord or zipcord. You can also find 14 ga zipcord
at some garden centers.
Or put 2 duplex receptacles in a "1900" electrical box--about 99c.

Home made extension cords are always better than bought.

Or, you can buy a 100, a 50, and splice via solder and tape. The hump will
be minimal.
--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:22:18 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Errol Groff" wrote: If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put
the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh. Where in the original post does it say the cord will be used on DC?

Geez Lousie. Don't be so literal. It was a joke for pete's sake.

Errol
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-01, Paul wrote:

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

Can I use the same magnets that I put on my car's fuel line to increase my
gas mileage?

only after wirebrushing them

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Your local electrical supply wholesaler - where the electricians go
for their 'stuff'. IIRC, you're across the pond - but they have to
exist over there too... ;-)

The bulk cord comes in 250' and 500' reels depending on the gauge,
and longer if you want to order it in. (Yes, you can make a 2,500'
long extension cord for your gold mine...) They will be glad to
measure and cut off a 150' chunk, whatever style you want. And should
have the heavy-duty cord caps you need for the ends.

There are many grades, the US System is 'SO' for heavy duty rubber
jacket, Junior cord for light duty 'SJO'. The thermoplastic jacket
has a T in the mark - 'STO' and 'SJTO' The O is oil resistant, they
tack a W on the end for water resistant 'STOW'.

There's a special lightweight plastic with an E code for ultra-low
temperatures (-67F) carrying SEOW or SJEOW markings. You do NOT want
a P in the code (SPT), that's parallel conductors (flat lay) with no
jacket, meant for indoor light-duty use only. Logical open-coded
system, all you have to remember is what each letter stands for...

Which of course the rest of the world totally ignores for an ISO
standard that you have to go look up in a reference book to decipher.
This is better?? :-(

And the part about "connecting the cord backwards" isn't totally a
joke - you'll notice the lay of the conductors as Black-White-Green
(or Blue-Brown-Green/Yellow for the Euro coding system) will drop
right into the cord cap holes at both ends one way, and will need to
be twisted at both ends to hit the right pins the other way.

If you find yourself flopping the wires inside the cord cap, stop
and try the other end of the cable. Because if the insulation fails
from age right there where they cross, you get fireworks.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:49:24 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
om...
nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe my
cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells them?
Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

For petes sake just make it! :-(
...lew...

Agreed. And almost always better.
Any type plug, one of those blue plastic shallow handyboxes at HD, a wall
receptacle, and 16 ga lampcord or zipcord. You can also find 14 ga zipcord
at some garden centers.
Or put 2 duplex receptacles in a "1900" electrical box--about 99c.

Home made extension cords are always better than bought.

Or, you can buy a 100, a 50, and splice via solder and tape. The hump will
be minimal.

Or find some NOS 300 ohm twinlead and make a pretty one....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:00:22 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

snip
And the part about "connecting the cord backwards" isn't totally a
joke - you'll notice the lay of the conductors as Black-White-Green
(or Blue-Brown-Green/Yellow for the Euro coding system) will drop
right into the cord cap holes at both ends one way, and will need to
be twisted at both ends to hit the right pins the other way.

If you find yourself flopping the wires inside the cord cap, stop
and try the other end of the cable. Because if the insulation fails
from age right there where they cross, you get fireworks.

-- Bruce --

Who'd a thunk it? Thanks, Bruce. I'll remember that one.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Broadcast power!
http://davidszondy.com/future/power/broadcast.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Likely cheaper to use two cords vs building one. Now buying 150Ft of wire and using real
plugs and sockets will make a decent extension cord. That moulded in stuff tends to be
crap for sockets.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

There are many grades, the US System is 'SO' for heavy duty rubber
jacket, Junior cord for light duty 'SJO'. The thermoplastic jacket
has a T in the mark - 'STO' and 'SJTO' The O is oil resistant, they
tack a W on the end for water resistant 'STOW'.

The J really means junior?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Errol Groff" wrote: Geez Lousie. Don't be so literal. It was a joke for
pete's sake.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess I should have added a ;-) I thought, in this sequence of quips, it
would have been obvious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:54:41 -0500, Ignoramus22222

On 2008-08-01, Paul wrote:

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

Can I use the same magnets that I put on my car's fuel line to increase my
gas mileage?

only after wirebrushing them

You also have to set them to the AC frequency ie. 60 degrees
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have two wind ups. Or one long one and a short hand loop/wind up.

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

nick hull wrote:
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:31:19 -0400, Wes wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

There are many grades, the US System is 'SO' for heavy duty rubber
jacket, Junior cord for light duty 'SJO'. The thermoplastic jacket
has a T in the mark - 'STO' and 'SJTO' The O is oil resistant, they
tack a W on the end for water resistant 'STOW'.

The J really means junior?

Youbetcha! Occam's Razor strikes again. And I have seen it
confirmed in several cable catalogs.

SO will take a lot more abuse than SJO.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

There are many grades, the US System is 'SO' for heavy duty rubber
jacket, Junior cord for light duty 'SJO'. The thermoplastic jacket
has a T in the mark - 'STO' and 'SJTO' The O is oil resistant, they
tack a W on the end for water resistant 'STOW'.

The J really means junior?

Youbetcha! Occam's Razor strikes again. And I have seen it
confirmed in several cable catalogs.

SO will take a lot more abuse than SJO.

-- Bruce --

Letter Letter Designation
S Standard.
SJ Junior.
E (Elastomer) Thermoplastic Rubber.
T Thermoplastic.
O Oil resistant outer jacket.
OO Oil resistant insulation and outer jacket.
W Approved for outdoor use.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Youbetcha! Occam's Razor strikes again. And I have seen it
confirmed in several cable catalogs.

SO will take a lot more abuse than SJO.

A few years ago I was told to replace the SO cord with SJO cord on an electric hoist. The
hoist ran on a overhead rail so the hoist had a cord reel on it.

I dutifully removed the larger diameter cord and managed to get just almost as much sjo
back on. The snail spring limits how many turns are usable and the smaller jacket
diameter made a smaller diameter coil giving less length on the reel.

Great thinking there. I did, however, end up with a really nice extension cord out of the
exercise.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:02:59 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Have two wind ups. Or one long one and a short hand loop/wind up.

Martin H. Eastburn

How big is this reel? If you need a heavier gauge for the length, and
then you want SO for the durability, it's going to take a hell of a
cord winder to hold it.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

150' is a short lead for sound and video production. I have a couple
150' reels and a 300' as well. The 150' is on a portable reel. The 300
is on an old fire engine booster line reel. I figure it held 200 feet of
1" rubber line so the 300 feet of cord is easy. Still have one reel left
with the motor on it. Anyone interested in a HEAVY duty reel could look
around a fire engine repair or rebuild outfit. They likely have a few
laying around.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-01, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Can you buy the proper length of cable at Home Depot or McMaster and
make a extension cord yourself with a male and female plug?

This is the way to do it. I actually prefer my home made leads. I get to
pick the best plugs, trailing sockets, flex and workmanship!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:10:52 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Errol Groff quickly quoth:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:49:07 -0500, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

Also important is to never leave any coils in the extension cord when
it's in use. If you do, the electricity goes around in circles too
many times and gets all dizzy. You want straight electricity.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Nick, why are you trying to spam trap a URL? That makes no sense.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-01, nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Can you buy the proper length of cable at Home Depot or McMaster and
make a extension cord yourself with a male and female plug?

This is the way to do it. I actually prefer my home made leads. I get to
pick the best plugs, trailing sockets, flex and workmanship!

yep
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:52:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Errol Groff quickly quoth:

wrote:

"Errol Groff" wrote: If you take Iggy's suggestion be sure that you put
the male and female
plugs on the correct ends of the wire. Otherwise the current will be
trying to flow upstream and damage may result.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh. Where in the original post does it say the cord will be used on DC?

Geez Lousie. Don't be so literal. It was a joke for pete's sake.

Oh, c'mon, Errol. Leave the poor height-impaired
Christianity-challenged man alone. He was joking, too.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote: Oh, c'mon, Errol. Leave the poor height-impaired
Christianity-challenged man alone. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you, Larry. But you forgot to mention that I am also youth-impaired.
I need all the sympathy I can get.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul" wrote in message

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

Can I use the same magnets that I put on my car's fuel line to increase my
gas mileage?

Sure, just wrap the cord around your engine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:11:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote: Oh, c'mon, Errol. Leave the poor height-impaired
Christianity-challenged man alone. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you, Larry. But you forgot to mention that I am also youth-impaired.
I need all the sympathy I can get.

Sorry, Leo. I had intended to write "...challenged old man alone."
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:30:17 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Bob
La Londe" quickly quoth:

"Paul" wrote in message

Wrong. The knot accumulates electricity that gets stuck there, and
that accumulated electricity can help with motor starting. I also
would recommend attaching magnets to cleanse electrons. Magnets
decrease resistance by up to 6.2 percent.

Can I use the same magnets that I put on my car's fuel line to increase my
gas mileage?

Sure, just wrap the cord around your engine.

I use buttered cats to increase fuel mileage. Long Live Anti-Grav!
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

nick hull wrote:
I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Nick, why are you trying to spam trap a URL? That makes no sense.

Because if I put it into the URL form my ISP will often delete the
message ;(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wote: Sorry, Leo. I had intended to write "...challenged
old man alone."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am flattered that yu remembered all my qualifications.

BTW, there is some rationale for using DC with long extension cords. I used
to have a box that was full of rectifiers and capacitors--it turned 120 VAC
into 140 VDC. It made power tools run really strong; it was intended to
compensate for the losses in long extension cords.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not mine, I use 5' diameter loops of my SO. Arms get tired just at the
end from hauling it in and holding that much rubber and copper.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

Have two wind ups. Or one long one and a short hand loop/wind up.

Martin H. Eastburn

How big is this reel? If you need a heavier gauge for the length, and
then you want SO for the durability, it's going to take a hell of a
cord winder to hold it.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

nick hull wrote:

I need a 150' extension cord and all I can find are 100' cords. Yes I
know I can plug a 50' cord into a 100' cord, but that gives a lump foe
my cord winder; I would still like a 150' cord. Any clue who sells
them? Don't need heavy duty, a light flexible cord would be best.

Nick, why are you trying to spam trap a URL? That makes no sense.

Because if I put it into the URL form my ISP will often delete the
message ;(

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:38:48 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wote: Sorry, Leo. I had intended to write "...challenged
old man alone."
I am flattered that yu remembered all my qualifications.

What? It's been maybe 2 weeks since you posted them all over the
world.

BTW, there is some rationale for using DC with long extension cords. I used
to have a box that was full of rectifiers and capacitors--it turned 120 VAC
into 140 VDC. It made power tools run really strong; it was intended to
compensate for the losses in long extension cords.

I understand that some of the power transmission companies are now
running some DC (HVDC), too. They apparently get less loss at 200kV.