Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eye problem update

Doug White wrote:

Glad to "see" you back, and that things are improving. I had a detached
retina years ago & had both eyes operated on. Anything involving loss of
sight is scary, and being blind for even a few days was no fun. Now I
have a cataract to deal with, but it seems like that will be trivial by
comparison.

Hope you make a full recovery.

Thanks. I exercise my right eye as much as I can stand, each day. I
can almost read with it, now, but it will still take some time.

The VA told me last year that a cataract is starting on one eye, but
they won't operate till it gets worse. The Gainesville VA hospital is
finally being expanded, like was promised 10 years ago. The new wing
will be patients rooms, and the old patient areas will be converted to
larger clinics, and more operating rooms. RIght now, they generally = do
surgery that is life or death, because they can't get time for other
surgeries. Right now some of the clinics are in leased space, away from
the hospital, and is a real mess. Some of the veterans I ride up with
have to wait for the DAV van to unload, then for the driver to take them
to their appointments.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:56:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
snip
The VA told me last year that a cataract is starting on one eye, but
they won't operate till it gets worse.

snip
======
Old joke: Our government has always said that nothing was too
good for out citizens in uniforms, so that's what they are giving
them....
========

I don't know your age or other circumstances, but you may want to
consider cataract surgery by a commercial provider under
medicare. There will be some out of pocket for co-pay and other
non-covered expenses (c 200$ per eye).

I just had this done. Surgery was performed at a walk-in
operating facility and took 1/2 day per eye. The left eye is
still much better than the right, which is a bummer as my right
is my aiming eye, but it is getting better.

You will need new glasses.
click on site below for affordable pairs. Be sure to get the IP
[interpupulary] distance in addition to the lens prescription
from your optician. Distance vision should not be a problem, but
you will need reading glasses. Available for 1$ to 10$ from
Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Dollar stores in most states.
http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=15
http://www.optical4less.com/

When I had my operations the surgeon gave me a kit with eye drops
and over-the glasses sunglasses which work well but see
http://www.noir-medical.com/catalog.htm
I find the yellow glases are good for overcast days and the
ambers are better than the gray for driving in bright daylight,
but thats a personal call.

Ask around to see who the good cataract surgeons are in your area
and where they work. Your (non Va) doctors are a good place to
start. Ask who they would use for their own or their mother's
cataract operation.

This is important if you are starting to see halos or rings
around lights at night

Good luck and it's good to hear your sight is coming back.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I have decided it isn't worth the migraines to read or reply in this
newsgroup. Apparently some of the bottom feeders think it's funny to
suddenly lose your eyesight. I don't care anymore. Have fun, and if
there are any typos, Ed can stick then up his ass.

I have another long trip to the VA hospital on Monaday about my eye,
and that is more important than this, or any other newsgroup.

Uness there are major improvments in my vision, I will not be back.

It has been a little over 10 weeks and I am finally starting to see
some improvement. I still have jitter in the motion of my right eye,
but I am able to lock them both on the same point. Any motion still
cause it to unlock, but doesn't make me dizzy, like before. I can read
the screen a little bit better, as long as my head or eyes don't move.
Even blinking caused a momentary unlock, but it is progress.

Good news to hear, Michael. Hang in there and keep working at it.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

It has been a little over 10 weeks and I am finally starting to see
some improvement. I still have jitter in the motion of my right eye,
but I am able to lock them both on the same point. Any motion still
cause it to unlock, but doesn't make me dizzy, like before. I can read
the screen a little bit better, as long as my head or eyes don't move.
Even blinking caused a momentary unlock, but it is progress.

Looks like you are doing great. Didn't spell check the above but I bet you are typing
better than most Detroit area high school students.

I've thought about the senses. Of the big two, sight and hearing, I'd rather loose my
ears than my eyes.

Glad things are improving for you bud.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Goodbye JerryL Home Repair 25 November 16th 07 01:36 PM
Goodbye Wristwatch. Hello iPods. snow Home Repair 0 June 10th 07 02:36 AM
Goodbye RCA .. Hello Vizio HD N. Morrow Electronics Repair 2 April 22nd 07 05:26 PM
Goodbye Lamello. Hello Netto. Andy Hall UK diy 16 April 3rd 07 08:17 AM
El Guano - Part Of GoodBye #5 Tom Watson Woodworking 1 January 18th 06 03:42 AM