Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Okuma Lathe - anyone familiar with this one?

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's a gearhead.

Bob

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:12:52 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

that looks nice how much are those worth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've never seen an Okuma engine lathe but my experience with their 1983 to present cnc's
is that they make a very solid and advanced machine. We can still get parts for the 83
cnc's. Check into if you can still get parts for the engine lathe.

Give it a good look in person. You might be very happy with it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Its a gear head. And a nice lathe. DRO and everything.

How much? Should be worth about $5k or a bit more if they have
tooling, chucks and so forth.

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.

I'm curious, why replace a 10EE?? Did you actually wear one out? My wife
knows better than to ask me to choose between the 10EE and her.

Now, I sure would like a larger spindle hole. The 10EE has 1.425 spindle
hole. A friend broke his hydraulic rams and needed turning and drill tap on
1.5" rods yesterday. I had to put it in the Mazak M4 (16,000 lb. machine)
Setting up a hydraulic chuck for a one off is a total PITA.

Karl "loves his 10EE" Townsend

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:49:22 -0400, Wes wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've never seen an Okuma engine lathe but my experience with their 1983 to present cnc's
is that they make a very solid and advanced machine. We can still get parts for the 83
cnc's. Check into if you can still get parts for the engine lathe.

Give it a good look in person. You might be very happy with it.

I think '83 is about when Okuma stopped making manual machines to
concentrate on CNCs. Every time I visit my largest customer it seems
they have a couple more large Okuma VMCs on the floor. They machine
moly and tungsten and love them.

Now that it's been confirmed the lathe is a gearhead, I'll go check it
out.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Its a gear head. And a nice lathe. DRO and everything.

Thanks. You don't recall offhand what flavor spindle nose?

How much? Should be worth about $5k or a bit more if they have
tooling, chucks and so forth.

I don't know about price or tooling yet. It's being surplused by a
local shop. I'll have to go check it out and negotiate. I'm hoping to
offset the price with the sale of my 10EE.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:47:54 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.

I'm curious, why replace a 10EE??

Because the EE is not a gearhead. I also own a Feeler (Taiwan) "HLV-H"
which I use almost exclusively for small work. The Monarch gets
occasional use for heavier jobs, which it's not ideal for. I don't
remember the last time I took it out of backgear. If I'm going to have
two lathes, it makes more sense to me to have one of them be as large
as is practical. Since I don't have room for an American Pacemaker or
a big Monarch, that Okuma looks attractive. A short bed LeBlond is
another possibility.

Want another 10EE? g

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Its a gear head. And a nice lathe. DRO and everything.

Thanks. You don't recall offhand what flavor spindle nose?

No idea. They came in various flavors.

How much? Should be worth about $5k or a bit more if they have
tooling, chucks and so forth.

I don't know about price or tooling yet. It's being surplused by a
local shop. I'll have to go check it out and negotiate. I'm hoping to
offset the price with the sale of my 10EE.

I called a tool dealer friend of mine..he said depending on
condition..between $5-8k

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Its a gear head. And a nice lathe. DRO and everything.

Thanks. You don't recall offhand what flavor spindle nose?

No idea. They came in various flavors.

I'm not surprised, I've seen LSs with both A and D1 spindles, though I
wouldn't expect to see an A on this lathe. I'd prefer a D1 over an L.

How much? Should be worth about $5k or a bit more if they have
tooling, chucks and so forth.

I don't know about price or tooling yet. It's being surplused by a
local shop. I'll have to go check it out and negotiate. I'm hoping to
offset the price with the sale of my 10EE.

I called a tool dealer friend of mine..he said depending on
condition..between $5-8k

I could swing 5K, assuming I can sell my Monarch reasonably quickly.
$8K would be hard for me to justify. As usual, it seems I have
expensive taste in machinery -- fortunately I don't spend it on
clothes and cars. Thanks again.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 19, 6:12 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

They had one of those at the City College where I used to use the
machine shop for personal projects. It was always my favorite
machine. It's a gear head, and very powerful.