Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Okuma Lathe - anyone familiar with this one?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:49:22 -0400, Wes wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've never seen an Okuma engine lathe but my experience with their 1983 to present cnc's
is that they make a very solid and advanced machine. We can still get parts for the 83
cnc's. Check into if you can still get parts for the engine lathe.

Give it a good look in person. You might be very happy with it.

I think '83 is about when Okuma stopped making manual machines to
concentrate on CNCs. Every time I visit my largest customer it seems
they have a couple more large Okuma VMCs on the floor. They machine
moly and tungsten and love them.

Now that it's been confirmed the lathe is a gearhead, I'll go check it
out.

--
Ned Simmons