Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Okuma Lathe - anyone familiar with this one?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:47:54 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.

I'm curious, why replace a 10EE??

Because the EE is not a gearhead. I also own a Feeler (Taiwan) "HLV-H"
which I use almost exclusively for small work. The Monarch gets
occasional use for heavier jobs, which it's not ideal for. I don't
remember the last time I took it out of backgear. If I'm going to have
two lathes, it makes more sense to me to have one of them be as large
as is practical. Since I don't have room for an American Pacemaker or
a big Monarch, that Okuma looks attractive. A short bed LeBlond is
another possibility.

Want another 10EE? g

--
Ned Simmons