Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Okuma Lathe - anyone familiar with this one?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:10:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:36:17 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 03:09:24 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:12:52 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

This one's for sale near me. Is it a gearhead, or some sort of
variable speed? The headstock looks rather small to have a gearbox,
but there appear to be a lot of levers just for thread changes.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Okuma01.jpg

I've lusted after an Okuma LS for years, but don't have the room, and
have been looking for some time for a compact sturdy gearhead to
replace my 10EE.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/okuma/

Its a gear head. And a nice lathe. DRO and everything.

Thanks. You don't recall offhand what flavor spindle nose?

No idea. They came in various flavors.

I'm not surprised, I've seen LSs with both A and D1 spindles, though I
wouldn't expect to see an A on this lathe. I'd prefer a D1 over an L.

How much? Should be worth about $5k or a bit more if they have
tooling, chucks and so forth.

I don't know about price or tooling yet. It's being surplused by a
local shop. I'll have to go check it out and negotiate. I'm hoping to
offset the price with the sale of my 10EE.

I called a tool dealer friend of mine..he said depending on
condition..between $5-8k

I could swing 5K, assuming I can sell my Monarch reasonably quickly.
$8K would be hard for me to justify. As usual, it seems I have
expensive taste in machinery -- fortunately I don't spend it on
clothes and cars. Thanks again.

--
Ned Simmons