Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Bending - Another Crosspost

RCM only

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:02:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

Ned Simmons writes:

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../Mailbox02.JPG

You're really dating yourself with that tape moistener.

What the hell does THIS leadscrew fit? Whoa, kinky!
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon..._050912_05.JPG

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons writes:

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../Mailbox02.JPG

You're really dating yourself with that tape moistener.

What the hell does THIS leadscrew fit? Whoa, kinky!
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon..._050912_05.JPG

It's goes to a 4 dimensional gun drill for boring worm holes.

Or, it's a lamp filament before the steel mandrel gets dissolved out.
One of the more offbeat things I work on is designing tooling for
winding unusual filaments. That one's a straightforward shape, unusual
only because it's for a high watt, low voltage lamp. I think the pic
is there to demonstrate what sort of photos can be taken with a cheap
digital camera and a stereo microscope.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:34:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

Ned Simmons writes:

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../Mailbox02.JPG

You're really dating yourself with that tape moistener.

What the hell does THIS leadscrew fit? Whoa, kinky!
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon..._050912_05.JPG

It's goes to a 4 dimensional gun drill for boring worm holes.

I like it! chuckle

Or, it's a lamp filament before the steel mandrel gets dissolved out.
One of the more offbeat things I work on is designing tooling for
winding unusual filaments. That one's a straightforward shape, unusual
only because it's for a high watt, low voltage lamp.

Soooo, what kind of tooling will make that kind of winding, Ned?
Those must be expensive lamps to warrant the extra steps of dissolving
the steel core, neutralizing the acid, etc.

I think the pic
is there to demonstrate what sort of photos can be taken with a cheap
digital camera and a stereo microscope.

Cool. What's the actual size?

I like offbeat work like that. I've recently put up a teepee for one
client and bid on repairing a broken casket for another.

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:46:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Soooo, what kind of tooling will make that kind of winding, Ned?
Those must be expensive lamps to warrant the extra steps of dissolving
the steel core, neutralizing the acid, etc.

The first coiling on the mandrel is made by the spool by a machine
like this.
http://www.yiwon.co.kr/pcm008(e).htm

There are any number of ways to make the second coiling. High volume
filaments are made on dedicated high speed machines. Heavy low volume
coils like that in the pic are often made on spring winders, which are
general purpose wire forming machines. In addition to making plain
coils, they can be tooled to form all sorts of ends on the coil.

All coiled-coil filaments, even a $.50 standard 60W bulb, are made on
mandrels. The steel is dissolved out in hot HCl. But you're right, the
neutralizing and washing is critical.

I think the pic
is there to demonstrate what sort of photos can be taken with a cheap
digital camera and a stereo microscope.

Cool. What's the actual size?

The small wire is about .005, the overall diameter is about 1/8".

I like offbeat work like that. I've recently put up a teepee for one
client and bid on repairing a broken casket for another.

I lived in a teepee for a while, erecting one properly isn't easy. I
turned down some work at a large casket manufacturer several years
ago. Besides the fact that it was farther away than I prefer, building
furniture to be buried rubbed me the wrong way.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:52:02 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

I lived in a teepee for a while, erecting one properly isn't easy. I
turned down some work at a large casket manufacturer several years
ago. Besides the fact that it was farther away than I prefer, building
furniture to be buried rubbed me the wrong way.

I want something far more practical if I go and there is any chance
they might want to take another look later.

I wonder if Preformed Line Products could be persuaded to build
caskets like their Armadillo splice cases - deep-drawn stainless steel
shell and a vulcanized rubber lining, bolted together with Stainless
bolts and nuts, and pressure tested for leaks before burial.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:52:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

wrote:

Soooo, what kind of tooling will make that kind of winding, Ned?
Those must be expensive lamps to warrant the extra steps of dissolving
the steel core, neutralizing the acid, etc.

The first coiling on the mandrel is made by the spool by a machine
like this.
http://www.yiwon.co.kr/pcm008(e).htm

That was a fun one to get to resolve on a browser. g

There are any number of ways to make the second coiling. High volume
filaments are made on dedicated high speed machines. Heavy low volume
coils like that in the pic are often made on spring winders, which are
general purpose wire forming machines. In addition to making plain
coils, they can be tooled to form all sorts of ends on the coil.

Do they make long coils on these and then cut to length and uncurl to
form? And to put it on a core, is it wound externally or pushed on
from one end, or what? I guess I was expecting to see some type of
fancy rotor winding machine for that purpose.

All coiled-coil filaments, even a $.50 standard 60W bulb, are made on
mandrels. The steel is dissolved out in hot HCl. But you're right, the
neutralizing and washing is critical.

Yeah, before heating them to white hot temps.

Cool. What's the actual size?

The small wire is about .005, the overall diameter is about 1/8".

That's a wee bit smaller than the 5/8" ACME rod I thought it was.

I like offbeat work like that. I've recently put up a teepee for one
client and bid on repairing a broken casket for another.

I lived in a teepee for a while, erecting one properly isn't easy.

True. I'd much prefer a yurt, myself.

I turned down some work at a large casket manufacturer several years
ago. Besides the fact that it was farther away than I prefer, building
furniture to be buried rubbed me the wrong way.

Och! Our pride is a funny thing, isn't it? I've never understood the
need to be buried and then fawned over, especially in a fancy and very
expensive casket. What a waste of time and money! Burn me and feed my
ashes to the fishies (figuratively speaking), thanks.

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:18:20 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

wrote:

I lived in a teepee for a while, erecting one properly isn't easy. I
turned down some work at a large casket manufacturer several years
ago. Besides the fact that it was farther away than I prefer, building
furniture to be buried rubbed me the wrong way.

I want something far more practical if I go and there is any chance
they might want to take another look later.

I wonder if Preformed Line Products could be persuaded to build
caskets like their Armadillo splice cases - deep-drawn stainless steel
shell and a vulcanized rubber lining, bolted together with Stainless
bolts and nuts, and pressure tested for leaks before burial.

I can see the advertisements now: "Our finest mass-produced caskets,
ready to keep your recently deceased relative's body safe from the
worms for eons! Now in metallic paisley, religious red, basic black,
vulture violet, blasphemous blue, and Fonda yellow"

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 06:21:42 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I turned down some work at a large casket manufacturer several years
ago. Besides the fact that it was farther away than I prefer, building
furniture to be buried rubbed me the wrong way.

Och! Our pride is a funny thing, isn't it? I've never understood the
need to be buried and then fawned over, especially in a fancy and very
expensive casket. What a waste of time and money! Burn me and feed my
ashes to the fishies (figuratively speaking), thanks.

Cremate. Ashes in a 6" tubular fiber container. Post hole augered
hole, drop in the container, fill and tamp the soil, replace the sod,
record the GPS co-ordinates in a ledger in case anyone wants to know
sometime in the future. No bronze urn for druggies to steal, no stone
for vandals to knock over or to interfere with grounds keeping
equipment. The when all the one foot squares are full, turn the area
into a playground for descendants.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Do they make long coils on these and then cut to length and uncurl to
form? And to put it on a core, is it wound externally or pushed on
from one end, or what? I guess I was expecting to see some type of
fancy rotor winding machine for that purpose.

The spring winders I've worked with make one part at a time, wound on
a retracting mandrel. They resemble screw machines in some ways. Cam
driven with changeable forming slides and no end of gadgets that
clever folks have dreamed up over the last hundred years or so.

The typical sequence is; feed the wire, form the first leg, wind, form
the second leg, cut off, retract the mandrel and release the coil,
extend the mandrel, repeat.

Some simple coils are made on machines that wind a continuous length
that's chopped up on another machine.

--
Ned Simmons