SteveB

Default Metal bending on a small scale

I want to bend some smaller metal, probably not more than 5/16". It will be
square, round, and flat. The flat will be probably 1/8" thick. I will also
do stuff smaller than 5/16.

I want to do scrolls, nineties, French curves, anything I can draw, I want
to transfer to metal. Can you guys give me some ideas?

I have envisioned a flat plate with holes drilled in it at strategic places,
and where I just drill them for a one of a kind bend. Then, using bolts,
pins, blocks, round dollies, and all, be able to make attractive repeatable
bends.

I know there are scroll benders available, and I will probably end up buying
one just for the accurate results. I also know that there are many benders
available for $50 from Horrible Freight, Northern Tools, et al, and they go
up from there. Problem is with those, I have found it difficult to have the
bends come out where you could lay the finished piece on a flat surface and
have it lay flat. Hence the plate idea.

I have envisioned a hand crank to make some basic scrolls where just the
first two inches of a workpiece is scrolled, and not the long sweeping
scroll from there.

Any ideas, experiences, plans, sites will be appreciated.

I will be leaving for a trip for two weeks, so just post here, or e mail me,
and I will take it up when I return.

Steve

Sunworshipper

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:00:54 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

I just might want to sell something perfect for your needs, but you
have refused to be civil repeatedly in the past. I think I'll keep it
for those beach fixes and let others share in the shade. Sure beats
setting up a glass roof. IIRC mine is 24' X 40'.
Sunworshipper

oops How'd that happen.

Martin H. Eastburn

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

SteveB wrote:
[...]

SteveB

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Martin

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to
do is a lot smaller stuff.

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:10:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to
do is a lot smaller stuff.

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/OrderForm.html
It's "only" about $2,400 with all the attachments and dies.

That $70 HF benchtop model is looking better all the time, eh?

Unless you're looking for a much smaller model like this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407
heh heh heh

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com
Martin H. Eastburn

So make it smaller :-)
Concept... ideas -

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

SteveB wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Martin

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to
do is a lot smaller stuff.

Steve

Sunworshipper

Whaaaa?

So you do talk, kinda.

Buying shade and finding the right person to sew it is all you need to
save $

Never mind
Gunner

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:12:10 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

So make it smaller :-)
Concept... ideas -

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

SteveB wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Martin

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to
do is a lot smaller stuff.

Steve

I diagnosed and repaired an issue today with a Wesco roll former.

Its 110 feet long.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

SteveB

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message

Whaaaa?

So you do talk, kinda.

Buying shade and finding the right person to sew it is all you need to
save $

Never mind

You are in Las Vegas.

I used to be a steel erection contractor in Las Vegas. We did awnings. I
had a guy in Henderson, and one in East Las Vegas that did my canvas work.
We did all the awnings for Duck Creek Condos, and all of the Budget suites.
As well as McGees Ski Chalet. A lot of the older stuff we did is gone now,
remodeled away. Many many awnings at many businesses and residences. We
did all the wrought iron work at Mt. Charleston Hotel, which still looks
new.

But one friend has changed occupations, and the other is unreasonably high
priced.

So, I get it where I can get it. I have considered buying a walking foot
Consew to do some work for myself, but can't justify the cost. These
sunshades were $120 each, and just a drop in. Hardly worth messing with.

Steve

SteveB

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:12:10 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

So make it smaller :-)
Concept... ideas -

Martin

I believe that I will just make a bender on top of a plate that will be
infinitely adjustable. I am also going to get a propane weed burner to heat
up this small stuff, which should make it very workable in tight places, and
able to be hammered out into nice shapes.

All this comes after a lot of consideration, and now I have decided to keep
it small and simple.

As with anything, I will probably build two or three before I get it working
to my satisfaction, but that's part of the process and most of the fun.

Steve

Jon Danniken

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Unless you're looking for a much smaller model like this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407
heh heh heh

I remember when Radio Hack used to sell those; called it a "wire jig" at the
time. This was back when they sold useful items other than cell phones and
batteries.

Jon

SteveB

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Unless you're looking for a much smaller model like this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407
heh heh heh

I remember when Radio Hack used to sell those; called it a "wire jig" at
the
time. This was back when they sold useful items other than cell phones
and
batteries.

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Now I have "wire bender" to Google, and garner some ideas
about how to make one of these. I Googled about eight pages of entries, and
there are some definite good concepts in there for me to run with.

The kinds with the two rods sticking up that hold the small rod/bar is the
concept I was thinking of.

Steve

Martin H. Eastburn

How many bodies did you get out between rollers ?

Sheet metal roller ? or is it a long narrow production line item.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:12:10 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

So make it smaller :-)
Concept... ideas -

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

SteveB wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/ should provide some ideas.

Martin

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to
do is a lot smaller stuff.

Steve

I diagnosed and repaired an issue today with a Wesco roll former.

Its 110 feet long.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Sunworshipper

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:42:59 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I've tried to interact with you before and seemed like you just blew
me off. Can't get a good idea of what your exactly talking about , but
most just crumble fast out here. I don't keep mine up all the time
(don't have room on the property after building the shop) , but its
light colored and loose woven nylon? I need to find a helper to help
fold and roll it up tight to store cause it looks like I'll never need
it again. Maybe find someone into aliens to buy it so they all won't
bake while waiting for the next night of weird lights around ahhh
black ops. I used it for covering the pools so that I wouldn't fry to
a crisp at the same pool for a week. Guess I'll have to wonder for the
rest of my life of how hot it really would get down in a concrete hole
even with 70% shade cause I never did run into a cheap thermometer
that would go to around 150 degrees. Hot really hot, like melting
boom boxes, tapes, carpenter crayons, and turn brunets into blonds.
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:42:59 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:
-snip--
So, I get it where I can get it. I have considered buying a walking foot
Consew to do some work for myself, but can't justify the cost. These
sunshades were $120 each, and just a drop in. Hardly worth messing with.

I picked up a $300 non-walking-foot Consew last year. It works fine
for my NoteSHADE production purposes. I couldn't afford the extra $350
at that time for the walking foot model. It came with a bench, new
lamp, and half a dozen feet/bobbins/needles. A real machine sure beats
trying to sew heavy materials with a home model, lemme tell ya. Then
again, that old, black, cast-iron, TOTC Universal machine did a job
once I figured out the tensions and got a new needle in it.

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com
SteveB

"Sunworshipper" wrote awnings
[...]

We used Raven Mills Sunbrella canvas on our awnings. It was a tight weave,
heavy canvas. These new ones are a specific woven fabric that won't
unravel, and has a long sun life. Or is supposed to have.

We had commercial Sunbrella covered awnings that lasted ten years in the Las
Vegas sun. It had a lot to do with how they were tensioned.

This past summer was particularly brutal, even for Las Vegas standards,
wasn't it?

Steve

Gunner

wrote:

So, I get it where I can get it. I have considered buying a walking foot
Consew to do some work for myself, but can't justify the cost. These
sunshades were $120 each, and just a drop in. Hardly worth messing with.

Steve

Ive run across at least 15 Consew and Jukis in the last few years, and
the most any of them cost was $200

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
SteveB

"Gunner" wrote

Ive run across at least 15 Consew and Jukis in the last few years, and
the most any of them cost was $200

Gunner

If I could find one, I would buy it in a second. Where do you live?

Steve

Gunner

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:19:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

Ive run across at least 15 Consew and Jukis in the last few years, and
the most any of them cost was $200

Gunner

If I could find one, I would buy it in a second. Where do you live?

Steve

California, I see these in my scrounging travels around So. Cal.

Ill keep you in mind from now on. Its in the mental "want list"

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 03:47 AM
Metal Bending Break Question and a rant No Home Repair 11 May 15th 05 03:55 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
CASSWELL COLD BLACK OXIDE WAS Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 1 February 17th 04 04:48 PM
bending sheet metal into a cylinder cdg Metalworking 6 September 10th 03 11:06 AM