Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

Default Sheet metal bending

Has anyone any good links to simple sheet metal bending and laying out
practice on the web? Having now at last acquired my Gabro BF1000 it
would be nice to be able to get the bends in the right places g I'm
hoping
to be doing a few doors with a return bend edge - ie a channel section
all round.

(The BF1000 is a manual 'hinge type' folder that can do box pan by
cutting a length of angle to the internal box size rather than having
interchangable fingers)

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:59:38 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Has anyone any good links to simple sheet metal bending and laying out
practice on the web? Having now at last acquired my Gabro BF1000 it
would be nice to be able to get the bends in the right places g I'm
hoping
to be doing a few doors with a return bend edge - ie a channel section
all round.

(The BF1000 is a manual 'hinge type' folder that can do box pan by
cutting a length of angle to the internal box size rather than having
interchangable fingers)

AWEM

There is quite an excellent article on the New England Model
Engineering Society web site.

http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files/bending.pdf

Also available is an article by our member Dave Bono on the subject of
metal bending.

http://neme-s.org/dave_bono.htm

Hope this of use.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

There is a section on this in Machinery's handbook. Be prepared to
spend a while figuring it all out. I think the articles in the older
Machinery's Handbooks had better info that the more current ones. For
instance: maybe the 12th or 17th edition is better than the 20
somethings edition. Always make a few test bends to verify that you
have it right before laying out and bending an expensive panel.

Be somewhat careful if you look into some of the books on tinsmithing.
I think they usually assume you are using very thin material and
therefore don't spend a lot of time calculating the neutral planes in
the bends.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Has anyone any good links to simple sheet metal bending and laying out
practice on the web? Having now at last acquired my Gabro BF1000 it
would be nice to be able to get the bends in the right places g I'm
hoping
to be doing a few doors with a return bend edge - ie a channel section
all round.

(The BF1000 is a manual 'hinge type' folder that can do box pan by
cutting a length of angle to the internal box size rather than having
interchangable fingers)

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

news
wrote:

[...]

Errol & Pete,

Thanks for the links - much appreciated.

AWEM