Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shotgun chamber D reamer?

Picked up a 16ga SxS hammer gun yesterday.
Steel (not damascus) barrels. Nothing fancy,
made by Crescent but it's in great mechanical
shape.

Has the old 2 9/16" chamber length. I want to
take it out to the standard 2 3/4" chamber.
Brownell's wants $175 for the reamer, and I
probably wouldn't use it twice in my lifetime.

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for
the job?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 8:45 am, "BillM" wrote:

Hi Bill,

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for the job?

I would check the working pressure of the 2-9/16" as the 2-3/4" will
have a lot more grunt to push out the larger load. The barrel may not
be designed to handle the CUP of 2-3/4".

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:45 am, "BillM" wrote:

Hi Bill,

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for the job?

I would check the working pressure of the 2-9/16" as the 2-3/4" will
have a lot more grunt to push out the larger load. The barrel may not
be designed to handle the CUP of 2-3/4".

Dave

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Shotshell pressures are all in the 6000 to 10,000 psi range, and have
been for about ever. Lengthening chambers has been a stock in trade for
the smiths for about as long. The longer shells are mostly to deal with
the newer styles of wads that replaced the felt washers the were used
for eons. The payloads are not appreciably larger, typically on either
side of an ounce.

If you think the barrels and action will take it, have at.

Good opportunity to build a nice long forcing cone onto the chamber,
if it is not already.

FWIW, there were some write-ups done a while back in Double Gun
Journal, on the pressure results from shooting 12G 2 3/4" shells, in old
2 1/2" chambers. The rise in pressure that came about was far less than
had been predicted, and came as a bit of a shock to the hand-wringers
that were predicting a disaster.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 15:45:28 GMT, "BillM"
wrote:

Picked up a 16ga SxS hammer gun yesterday.
Steel (not damascus) barrels. Nothing fancy,
made by Crescent but it's in great mechanical
shape.

Has the old 2 9/16" chamber length. I want to
take it out to the standard 2 3/4" chamber.
Brownell's wants $175 for the reamer, and I
probably wouldn't use it twice in my lifetime.

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for
the job?

Bill

Its doable, but its cheaper to rent the proper reamer

http://www.clymertool.com/
http://www.mansonreamers.com/

White Rock Tool & Die
6400 N. Brighton Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64119
(816) 454-0478

Gunner, who has pondered doing this to his
1897 H. Piffer 12ga 2-1/12 x 40-64

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:00:14 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Jul 5, 8:45 am, "BillM" wrote:

Hi Bill,

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for the job?

I would check the working pressure of the 2-9/16" as the 2-3/4" will
have a lot more grunt to push out the larger load. The barrel may not
be designed to handle the CUP of 2-3/4".

Dave

They were nickle steel and Should be ok for light loads. NO Field
Magnums. AA trap loads and the like.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch"
wrote in message
Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer
for
the job?

Bill

Its doable, but its cheaper to rent the proper
reamer

http://www.clymertool.com/
http://www.mansonreamers.com/

White Rock Tool & Die
6400 N. Brighton Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64119
(816) 454-0478

Gunner, who has pondered doing this to his
1897 H. Piffer 12ga 2-1/12 x 40-64

Hmmm---I'm not seeing any rental info on the
clymer or manson site. I've used their
reamers for years on pistols/rifles, good stuff.

I do see the 16 ga reamer for rent he

http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Shotgun

and at $28 it looks like I might go that way.
Cheaper than $165 for a one-off job, and takes
up very little of my time.

Agreed on the light loads. I've got 5 16's and
that's all they get fed. I've got bigger
shotguns
if I want to go goose hunting, but there is just
something about a slim light 16 that feels
RIGHT for upland/quail/grouse.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 5, 1:44 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:00:14 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"

Hi Gunner,

They were nickle steel and Should be ok for light loads. NO Field
Magnums. AA trap loads and the like.

But that's my point. With a 2-9/16" shot shells it is impossible to
over load the design.

What happens if he reams it to 2-3/4" and later sells it? Or dies and
the estate is sold off. A death trap waiting for an innocent.

I hate the phrase "should be OK" when it comes to guns and overloading
the design.

Still each to his own.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote:

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for
the job?

I'd be interested in the thickness of the metal from where your chamber ends to where the
new one ends. If it doesn't change, I'd go for it, if it gets thinner, well there was a
reason it was that thick at the end of the chamber.

Reloading might be safer if the metal gets thinner. You can make longer cases shorter.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:08:14 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Jul 5, 1:44 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:00:14 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"

Hi Gunner,

They were nickle steel and Should be ok for light loads. NO Field
Magnums. AA trap loads and the like.

But that's my point. With a 2-9/16" shot shells it is impossible to
over load the design.

Actually..It IS possible to over load. Many handloaders increase the
pressures considerably. But normal factory loads should be safe

What happens if he reams it to 2-3/4" and later sells it? Or dies and
the estate is sold off. A death trap waiting for an innocent.

Hardly.

If someone if foolhardy enough to pump up the handloads for a 80 yr
old mass produced to be cheap shotgun, its on his own head.

I hate the phrase "should be OK" when it comes to guns and overloading
the design.

Still each to his own.

Dave

Indeed. Hence my comment about Field Magnums, which are verbage used
around here at the least, to describe pumped up handloads

Shrug

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:14:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

"BillM" wrote:

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for
the job?

I'd be interested in the thickness of the metal from where your chamber ends to where the
new one ends. If it doesn't change, I'd go for it, if it gets thinner, well there was a
reason it was that thick at the end of the chamber.

Reloading might be safer if the metal gets thinner. You can make longer cases shorter.

Wes

Thats what I do with my H. Piffer. It came out of Africa..was a
"forageing gun", shotgun on one side, rifle on the other, double
hammers. The previous owner never did tell me what the rifled caliber
was, but the barrel was sans any rifeling, so he sent it off to Oregon
somewhere and had it rebored and rerifled to 40-64 Winchester, an
evidently safe conversion considering Ive fired several thousands of
rounds through that side.

I got about 10 boxes of ...humm...cant rember the manufacture...RWS?
2.5" shotshells, and Ive been shooting them up and reloading them on a
MEC that I modified to load the short paper cases.

But its a pain in the ass anymore and I probably should ream it that
extra 1/4" and forcing cone. Shrug...when I get a 'round tuit"

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thats what I do with my H. Piffer. It came out of Africa..was a
"forageing gun", shotgun on one side, rifle on the other, double
hammers. The previous owner never did tell me what the rifled caliber
was, but the barrel was sans any rifeling, so he sent it off to Oregon
somewhere and had it rebored and rerifled to 40-64 Winchester, an
evidently safe conversion considering Ive fired several thousands of
rounds through that side.

I got about 10 boxes of ...humm...cant rember the manufacture...RWS?
2.5" shotshells, and Ive been shooting them up and reloading them on a
MEC that I modified to load the short paper cases.

But its a pain in the ass anymore and I probably should ream it that
extra 1/4" and forcing cone. Shrug...when I get a 'round tuit"

Sounds like a neat gun, one barrel short of being a drilling and a bit lighter than one.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 17:17:11 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I carry it a lot when on walkabout in the high desert. Takes
birds within range, coyotes and wild boar quite well with that 350gr
bullet

Gunner