Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default damndelion killer

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 06:04:43 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Useless bloody stuff... doesn't work worth a damn on horsetails (Equisetum
arvense). Ammonium sulphamate works extremely well and degrades to
ammonium
sulphate in the soil. Trouble is that it was banned in Europe this year
and my
stocks will run out in two or three years time :-(

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this. How
do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Dosage is very high... up to about 250lb/acre depending on the weed. It works
on the plants in a similar way that CO works on us, disrupts nitrogen
metabolism. Soil recovers in about three months. Good for clearing poor land
of tough weeds before laying a lawn and good for killing tree
stumps/horsetail/Japanese knotweed/other nuclear resistant plants. Probably
not so good for spraying in an orchard :-)

I might have to go over to undiluted domestic glyphosate.

Mark Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 7:59*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

anews.com...

I'd think it would be tricky to find the right wick material, so that you
got adequate flow without having the thing drip on your grass while you
move around. Still, it looks promising. I've tried applying Ortho's
Roundup (an all-purpose herbicide that kills everything) with a small
paintbrush, just to see if it works and can be controlled, and it does.. A
wick-type dispenser might just save my back.

The wicks don't work well, because of the drip issue. We use a cloth glove
over a plastic glove with 65% pure Monsanto roundup mixed with 1/3 crop
oil for weeds like quack grass. A little dab will do ya. goes fast.

That's an idea. I still picture myself taking pain killers for my
back...d8-)

back to my query, the small pressure bottle sprayers aren't what we're
after. This wand you've mentioned may be what we'd like, but it can't drip
and you must be able to quickly dispense a 1/4 gram of material. Think
1000's of cycles.

Karl

See if the Killer Kane is still around. I haven't seen it in hardware stores
for decades, but maybe it's available online.

--
Ed Huntress

Doubt it, the active ingredient for the tablets that it used was
sodium chorate. Much desired by the basement bomber types so probably
banned from weed-killer duty.

In my younger days, I was in charge of digging them out from the lawn,
the tool used was a broomstick with a dandelion digger stuck in the
end. Kind of a cross between a spoon and a steel fork(metalworking!),
I've seen them at the hardware stores lately, although the handle is
only about 6" long. A spare broomstick can fix that. Weed-Be-Gone
takes care of the problem on regular lawns, probably wouldn't do
strawberries any good, though. Spot application might work.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:31:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

The tool I use could easily be home made from a short length of
tapered tubing and half inch square tube, see:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...300,44822&ap=1
I got mine for half price and have had to reinforce the main joint. I
spear the damndelion and flip the previous core up and into a bucket
then into the compost bin.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this. How
do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Try looking for Ammate.
You will want to keep it far away from your strawberries.

Some expert on weed killers.
Expert, enough, to admit in a public forum to using un-labeled products.
You are now trying to harvest that crop in which you used the
un-labeld product.
Expect, the USDA to show up and shut you down.

Guys like you give the rest of us a bad name. Apparently, deservedly so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:02:36 GMT, R wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this. How
do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Try looking for Ammate.
You will want to keep it far away from your strawberries.

Some expert on weed killers.
Expert, enough, to admit in a public forum to using un-labeled products.
You are now trying to harvest that crop in which you used the
un-labeld product.
Expect, the USDA to show up and shut you down.

Guys like you give the rest of us a bad name. Apparently, deservedly so.

I hope to see some major accountablity changes coming in
agriculture.

Lots of fast freddy farmers around. GOA did an audit last year of
FSA producers locally and found major misrepresentation. Little
things like claiming to be a corporation but not having the necessiary
supporting docs ie filed with sec of state or not filing taxes as
a corp ect. All the while collecting max $ in deficiency/support
payments..

Plus the never ending incidents of food contamination nationwide

Pesticide misuse/fraud is rampant. Pretty hard to tell
exactly what coming out of the nozzle by looking from afar..

Try proving drifted picloram in legumes, if you
..file a complaint you get to see the regulators demonstrate the most
artfull coverup/stalling techniques to be seen... big ag runs things
in this country. ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

R wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this.
How do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Some expert on weed killers.
Expert, enough, to admit in a public forum to using un-labeled products.
You are now trying to harvest that crop in which you used the un-labeld
product.

What? He didn't say anything about using unlabeled products. Certainly
not in what you quoted. Perhaps you are Reply-ing to the wrong post.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What? He didn't say anything about using unlabeled products. Certainly
not in what you quoted. Perhaps you are Reply-ing to the wrong post.

Bob

He started this thread by commenting how his lady was using an unlabeled
herbicide to kill dandelions in the strawberry patch:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

I am sick and tired of undergoing annual USDA chemical use audits.
It is caused by growers and applicators misusing and abusing materials.
The USDA audits the records to try and establish use patterns and to
catch some of these abuses or misapplications.
To publicly brag about the misuse of a material not labeled for use as a
herbicide gives the USDA more ammunition to continue these witch hunts.

Perhaps, Mr. Townsend should pay a little more attention during his
annual pesticide recertification classes, or, enlist a little more
pesticide education help from his County Extension Office.

I come to rec.crafts.metalworking for metalworking ideas in my
construction of crop and herbicide sprayers and other ag equipment, not
to try and find someone abusing ag materials.

Fly Killer djbj UK diy 18 July 20th 06 08:58 PM
Bug killer PigPOg UK diy 8 June 12th 06 10:44 PM
help: need a killer router bit set Koz Pinlicious Woodworking 4 March 18th 06 06:28 AM
Stump killer Jim Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 08:26 AM