Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default damndelion killer

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:16:25 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

gardening shops in australia sell a nylon pressurised sprayer with a
long wand. it has a handle which doubles as a pressure pump.
holds 10 litres and has a control valve just by the thumb.
not expensive.
your Home Depot should have something similar in the gardening
section.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

gardening shops in australia sell a nylon pressurised sprayer with a
long wand. it has a handle which doubles as a pressure pump.
holds 10 litres and has a control valve just by the thumb.
not expensive.
your Home Depot should have something similar in the gardening
section.

10 litres of diesel oil will weigh something close to 40 pounds. I suspect
Karl's wife would want something a little smaller.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:42:29 GMT, _
wrote:

10 litres of diesel oil will weigh something close to 40 pounds. I suspect
Karl's wife would want something a little smaller.

approximately 18 pounds and 12 ounces :-|

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:15:23 +0100, Mark Rand wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:42:29 GMT, _
wrote:

10 litres of diesel oil will weigh something close to 40 pounds. I suspect
Karl's wife would want something a little smaller.

approximately 18 pounds and 12 ounces :-|

Yup; somehow I multipled in my head by 4.54 and took a bit off for oil
being less than water.

20 pounds will still get heavy after a while out in the sun...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:09:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, _
quickly quoth:

20 pounds will still get heavy after a while out in the sun...

Having done something similar, I can honestly say "That it does."

I bought a 93887 padded belt http://tinyurl.com/44fd at the old HFT
store and used that strapped through the handle of the 20 pound
propane tank for use with my weed burner. It was bulky to haul around,
but it worked for a strong guy like me. Next time, I'll strap the tank
to the pneumatic-wheeled hand truck. (The cold tank froze my legs!

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries.
Note our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in
the whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again)
so she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout
and install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that
holds a quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

They made a thing like that back in the '50s, called a "Killer Kane." It was
a green transparent plastic tube around 3' or 4' long (I was about 3' long
then, myself, so the size may be off). It had a small tube at one end that
you pressed down into the center of a dandelion, and it released a little
squirt of herbicide.

Maybe they're still around?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

A similar thing called a 'weeding wand' is sold in my part of the world.
Came out in the 80's & are still around. Same as you describe but with a
wick at the business end that gets sodden with herbicide and is dabbed on
the evil weed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

Now, that sounds like something one could make at home. I may make one and
give it a try myself. I was late with the pre-emergence weed killer this
year, and I have a real mess of them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

The bottle screws on at the handle end, the wand is the tube (or at least
contains a small diameter tube) the wick was like soft cotton rope about
3/8" diameter. Problem I had was with small bottles of expensive pesticide a
good deal of it was spent soaking the wick.

Tried to find a pic, I only found this butane powered one....

http://www.crocus.co.uk/images/produ...03769_card.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

Aha. That looks like a small weed burner, which also was common when I was a
kid. It leaves ugly black spots that don't seem to go away all summer.

I'd think it would be tricky to find the right wick material, so that you
got adequate flow without having the thing drip on your grass while you move
around. Still, it looks promising. I've tried applying Ortho's Roundup (an
all-purpose herbicide that kills everything) with a small paintbrush, just
to see if it works and can be controlled, and it does. A wick-type dispenser
might just save my back.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:16:25 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Can you say "$10 WallyWorld sprayer"? I knew you could.

BUT, you _don't_ want to put all those nasty chemicals in your food
source, do you?!? Gasoline and diesel are carcinogens and do not add
to the flavor of fruits and vegetables.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again)
so she don't have to bend over.

It's called a "hudson sprayer".
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0674_200020674

I use one with diesel in burn season, 4 years and no chemical damage to the
sprayer. Larger models have a sling strap so she won't have to hold it.
There are even 12 models that need no pumping

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

wrote:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

Google brought this up:-------- http://weedwandmagic.com/

ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Google brought this up:-------- http://weedwandmagic.com/

THANKS

I'm ordering one right away.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:22:36 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Google brought this up:-------- http://weedwandmagic.com/

THANKS

I'm ordering one right away.

Karl

Youre welcome

Please post a review when you get one., I might want to try one..

Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please post a review when you get one., I might want to try one..

Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

The review didn't take long. She's already tried one and didn't like it. Too
slow and drips.

She wants a squirt thingy that can be held in one hand, with a long doodad
to put right on the weed without bending over. Oh well, back to the design
table.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:56:24 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Please post a review when you get one., I might want to try one..

Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

The review didn't take long. She's already tried one and didn't like it. Too
slow and drips.

She wants a squirt thingy that can be held in one hand, with a long doodad
to put right on the weed without bending over. Oh well, back to the design
table.

Karl

Ok----- on my hand weed sprayer, I spliced in length of 1/4" soft
copper line. The splices were made with brass tube of the correct
size. Pretty easy to do...start with brass wand, cut, section in
splices--done.. maybe 5 minutes.. now the spray wand is maybe ankle
high when in use..ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:37:34 -0600, ED wrote:

Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Useless bloody stuff... doesn't work worth a damn on horsetails (Equisetum
arvense). Ammonium sulphamate works extremely well and degrades to ammonium
sulphate in the soil. Trouble is that it was banned in Europe this year and my
stocks will run out in two or three years time :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:24:34 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:37:34 -0600, ED wrote:

Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Useless bloody stuff... doesn't work worth a damn on horsetails (Equisetum
arvense). Ammonium sulphamate works extremely well and degrades to ammonium
sulphate in the soil. Trouble is that it was banned in Europe this year and my
stocks will run out in two or three years time :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM

Why would Ammonium sulphamate be banned? It's about as safe as
anything ever used. I hear this or that product is worthless and
sometimes it's so but often it's due to user ignorance.

For example I found
that mixing Glyphosate with distilled water increases it's
effectiveness greatly, or adding some adjuvent that changes
the ph and buffers the mineral in the local water. Or even
changes the ionic charge in some cases..
ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Useless bloody stuff... doesn't work worth a damn on horsetails (Equisetum
arvense). Ammonium sulphamate works extremely well and degrades to
ammonium
sulphate in the soil. Trouble is that it was banned in Europe this year
and my
stocks will run out in two or three years time :-(

??? I thought I was an expert on weed killers. I've not heard of this. How
do you apply? concentration? method? I'm googling this compund next.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ED wrote:
Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Where do you get that in a concentrated form. I've seen it as
VERY small percentage in the stuff at the box stores.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:57:42 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

ED wrote:
Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Where do you get that in a concentrated form. I've seen it as
VERY small percentage in the stuff at the box stores.
...lew...

The local ag supply has it in 41% in multiple grades---liquid
gold. Roundup Ultra or Rodeo , look at the label..the consumer
grade stuff is reduced concentration.

Bindweed what I can't seem to get a handle on seeds stay
viable for 90 years....at least its feedable. Dicamba works
but has too much residials...ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:57:42 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

ED wrote:
Glyphosate--is the fist of God, I use a bit of it now and again. I
get dandelions in the alfalfa, they're actually pretty hard to
control, Glyphosate works pretty good. I bet with that wand
and mixed at %13 actual it would take only a drop or two.

ED

Where do you get that in a concentrated form. I've seen it as
VERY small percentage in the stuff at the box stores.

You must have looked at the gallons of ready-to-use (RTU) RoundUp,
lew. I buy quarts of 18% concentrate for $20 at Fred Meyer, Wally
World, Grange CoOp (2.5 gal @ 34%), etc. My last purchase was 25% from
a local ACE Hardware store called "Weed and Grass Killer".

I much prefer the "instant" RoundUp, which shows browning within
hours, works in colder weather, and is rain-proof in half an hour.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" writes:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

Spraying diesel fuel in your garden? That's not a long-term
approach... there's a broad spectrum herbicide named "Round Up" that
kills anything green you put it on, and breaks down into inert
components so quickly it doesn't have a half-life in the soil.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

I've got a nylon pressure sprayer with a long wand that I bought
several decades ago in the garden section of a hardware store. Works
like a champ.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

How about one of those standard insecticide sprayers that has a small
tank attached? Wand and a hose, fill with diesel, pump it up and take
a walk, going sputz sputz sputz.

Find em cheap at the hardware store and Kmart

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Milady is in charge of killing dandelions on six acres of strawberries. Note
our spelling in the title. Diesel fuel werks grate. Just a squirt in the
whirl in early spring.

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Karl

How about one of those standard insecticide sprayers that has a small
tank attached? Wand and a hose, fill with diesel, pump it up and take
a walk, going sputz sputz sputz.

Find em cheap at the hardware store and Kmart

Gunner

We use one of thoes as the hot water shower aboard the sail boat.
I guess I better check to make sure it's water and not diesel

Oopsies!

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

She wants a squirt thingy (her words) and a long doodad (her words again) so
she don't have to bend over.

OK, I'm thinking huge squirt oil can. Re-arrange trigger, add long spout and
install a spring ball check valve. Anyone seen a squirt oil can that holds a
quart or more? Other ideas?

Ordinary one-gallon (or two) pneumatic sprayer, with the tip dialed out
to "stream". ie, the one I use for dormant oil (I have a few less trees
than you do, to say the least) would work fine. Blip the trigger and
squirt some oil. Put on the strap for easy carrying, or drop it in a
pack basket. Of course, as a large orchardist you may not have one
handy, since you use rather bigger spray equipment. But easy and cheap
to get.

Fly Killer djbj UK diy 18 July 20th 06 08:58 PM
Bug killer PigPOg UK diy 8 June 12th 06 10:44 PM
help: need a killer router bit set Koz Pinlicious Woodworking 4 March 18th 06 06:28 AM
Stump killer Jim Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 08:26 AM